1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nolan Ryan at APSE meeting talks about Clemens, steroids, Bonds-Aaron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, May 15, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, those old boys like Billy Beane and Theo Epstein and JP Ricciardi....

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You see, I think those guys might give him a chance, especially to see if he could help out Rich Harden, who would be a Cy Young contender every year if he could stay healthy.

But, until they do, as far ahead of the game as they are in other areas, they are still behind the game here.

Smasher, do you think there's any legitimacy to what Marshall is saying?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can anybody that read it sum up what Marshall was suggesting?

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I think the reason for that is because for baseball, it's almost like if you reach a certain number, you are (almost) guaranteed to go the HOF.
    500 home runs, 3,000 hits, etc. etc. People remember the numbers better.
    BTW.. career points leader in basketball is Kareem Abdul Jabbar, I believe, and I think he had 38,336 points in his career. I didn't look it up, so maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

read it for yourself:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-marshall051007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

He didn't talk about coon hunting?

No Ramjack plug?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Jordan.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I was really happy to see Ryan say what I've been saying: Bonds still had to hit the ball over the fence.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks...interesting stuff. Hell, at this point I would say send somebody like Prior to him. Can't be any worse than things already are.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed, Shotty, and I think that's been Ryan's position all along. Mine, too.

Of course, baseball's been making it easier and easier to hit the ball over the fence, in so many ways, especially since the strike. But whether or not Bonds was cheating, baseball wasn't interested in doing anything about it -- everybody likes to put the onus on punishing the players instead of holding the commissioner/owners to the fire, which I'll never understand.

Anyway, every one of Bonds' peers played under the same circumstances as he did -- he still dominated his era (flawed as it is) the way all the great players have done. That's good enough for me.

11. Marshall's mechanical changes to pitching has to start in Little League. He's blowing smoke up the wrong tree by sniffing around college, minor league and major league coaches.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Tom House is the guy to listen to. Not Mike Marshall.

Draft saved Draft deleted