1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noel Gallagher: I'm leaving Oasis because Liam's an arse

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 28, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they're good, or even really, really good. But they've invited comparisons to the Beatles, and I think they've even disparaged those who compared them unfavorably to the Beatles.

Are they at least very, very good? Yes. Are they as good as the Beatles were? No effing way.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've listened extensively to Oasis and The Beatles. I won't be an idiot and say Oasis was better than The Beatles.

All I can say is that Oasis makes great music. I give Noel Gallagher all the credit for turning Oasis into the best band in the world. But Oasis isn't Oasis without Liam Gallagher.

Maybe Noel branches out for a year or two, but it would be a shame if Oasis breaks up. They're too good.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Bull-fucking-shit.

It's a horrible bore. I've tried listening to it many times and it just comes off as an appalling mess.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I was somewhat disappointed in Standing on the Shoulder. Didn't buy their newest album but downloaded I'm Outta Time, which may or may not be serving as a metaphor for me. The only album I enjoy more than What's The Story (Morning Glory)? is the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, but that's not built for year-round listening.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What's the Story (Morning Glory)? is my favorite rock 'n' roll song.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I wouldn't go that far, but I think it's the best thing they've done since the late 90s.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

When you can walk in from a heat wave and be assaulted by Christmas trees at Costco, I beg to differ.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Great Oasis cover of The Jam's "Carnation":

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Thanks for that. Never heard it before.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mike Flowers Pops did Wonderwall better (ducking)

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'll second that.

Noel Gallagher and Paul Weller doing the awesome "That's Entertainment":

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I just hope Noel knows what he's doing. I'd hate for him to look back in anger.

Draft saved Draft deleted