1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody's talking about Coach K

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 25, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Boozer practiced hard and sat quietly on the bench waiting for his turn to play, then his role on this team should be appreciated.

Chee, what if they had a player instead of Boozer who cried to the media about not playing enough?

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Listen...you dressing Boozer up as some choir boy, giving him props for something he SHOULD be doing in keeping quiet if receiving no playing time is pretty much useless.

He simply had no role on that team because he's an undersized big man....period. Giving him accolades for keeping quiet doesn't amount to much IMO. Luckily for the U.S., Bosh and Howard didn't play like Tim Duncan '04.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Didn't watch much of it, but it seems like they never had much need for a half court offense. If they did, Boozer is the low post scorer with actual low post moves that Howard is not. He may be undersized inthe NBA, but not at the Olympics.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

But low post play is negated in the international game. Ask Tim Duncan who discovered that in '04. It's of no use having a low post banger where the rules allow defensive players to anchor themselves in the paint without worrying about a 3 second violation.

He simply wasn't a fit for that team which I knew coming in.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Probably, but why not have 1 guy out of 12 who can do it if it comes in handy? Who were they missing that you would have preferred in his spot?

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

It'll come in handy in 2012 when FIBA will adjust the rules to open up low post play.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hate him with a passion, but I give him a lot of credit for helping turn those 12 players into a team. And for supporting other U.S. athletes (see LeBron James watching swimming).

He did an outstanding job. Even as much as I hate him, I will say he's an excellent coach.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

He fit his role perfectly. Good practice player who would STFU when he only played the final three minutes of asskickings.

I also wonder if he wasn't there to serve as some sort of bridge between the team and K. Having a guy that actually played for him could have been important behind the scenes.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Because ... why?

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Kobe Bryant's probably happiest about the chance to play for Coach K since he was the one who had wanted him to coach the Lakers, too. Was Kobe at least recruited by Duke even though he went to the NBA out of high school?

11. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Boozer was the 11th or 12th man. Somebody had to fill the role. He did a great job along with Michael Redd. Maybe that sort of unselfishness should be a given, but it's not, especially among guys used to heavy minutes. Boozer and Redd earned their medals as much as anyone else.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Prima donnas is too strong a term, but these are wealthy NBA stars with the healthy egos that accompany having been The Man on almost every team they've ever played on. This team was picked with an eye towards getting players who, in addition to being talented, were mature and intelligent enough to keep those egos in check, and whose games and personalities fit well together. Colangelo and Coach K obviously had the main role in that, and for that they deserve credit.

Draft saved Draft deleted