1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody's posted this yet? Whitlock on Kornheiser?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I read that graf, and I think it would be just as easy to read that and think that your work for ESPN was in the past. It also doesn't say whether Tony K made the decision to have you sub as a host. I have seen other writers say "Full Disclosure here, blah, blah, blah etc, etc, etc."

Let me give you an example of what I am talking about. In the late 70s, Dick Young was attacking Tom Seaver as a greedy player and defending Mets' management. Young's son-in-law, Thornton Geary, worked for Mets management. Most readers didn't know that fact, and I think it might affect how somebody would process the information.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

One other thing, Jason. I noted that you talked about blacks and Jews, but you also noted that Tony K was making a pork chop. That raised my eyebrow.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

From which perspective?

My ex-wife and kids are Jewish, and eating or not eating pork isn't an issue with them.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

So, by your logic, it would be okay for a reporter to call for a coach's firing because a columnist is allowed to, right? Because everyone has to operate by the same set of rules, even though they have different jobs, right?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, are you mentally challenged or just slow?

ethics apply across the board. editorializing doesn't.

obviously the hungry hippo believes he's above applying ethics to his trade.

6. Blushing

Blushing Member

Beyond the ethics of the column -- and those are very dubious -- the column just isn't very good. Here's a summary of the column: "Look at me, look at me, look at me." The column isn't so much about tk as it is about jw. And, frankly, with the superficial observations this column makes, neither is very interesting.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

everything in jw's world is about jw. i'm sure he was an only child.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

We've all made mistakes. When yours make the wire service, you'd better accept that you'll be a long time living them down -- that is, if you ever do.

Not that I would've posted that wire brief, but I feel it is relevant in that it demonstrates JW's constant need for attention, his inability to avoid a chance to respond in a juvenile manner to any form of criticism and his lack of progress in addressing those personality defects over the past eight years.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

Wow, it's just amazing how incapable you are of posting without using obscenities or launching personal attacks.

My initial post was a response to Jersey Guy and his example about speaking at a fundraiser for a women's shelter. I think any editor would forbid that. And I think few would forbid a columnist.

I would like to see your answer to my question, though. What about those columnists with ESPN ties who wrote about Schaap when he died? Was that unethical?

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Um, Mongo like pork chops.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awriter - one of the best sports personalities in history dies. that's news.

hungy hippo eats chops ...

Draft saved Draft deleted