1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody's posted this yet? Whitlock on Kornheiser?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't think that will matter to JW. In fact, it may actually please him, since Mr. Self Promotion doesn't fancy himself as being "one of us" anyway. He seems to relish criticism, because he can always respond in a way that suggests he's somehow above it all.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh trust me. I'm past the point of JW to actually look at himself beyond the caricature he's created. He of the "pimp hand" and all that.

Bad thing is, when he's not putting on an act? He's a damn good writer. But it gets lost in all the circus surrounding his opinions.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

The only thing impressive or scary about the "pimp hand" is the number of pieces of KFC it can hold.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so somehow ethical has become "ethical."

i really enjoy watching the indented slope you're sliding down. you can write the shit out of what you want, man who ate my dane, that's a given, but you are quickly becoming the TO of journalists. i will be watching, laughing, when your "eagles" kick you squarely in the balls.

you slowly are becoming a waste-of-talent hack because you simply can't see beyond your fat-assed face. god, i'm really enjoying this train wreck in progress.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great imagery...here's some scenery to match it.

[​IMG]

6. Oh, I see, it was all an inside joke. Ha-ha. How clever. Problem is, 99.9 percent of the people who read it did not know that. So what was the point? Quality journalism, friend.

Care to also address the other factual issues -- conveniently leaving out the kids' private schooling, etc, or were those inside jokes too?

7. you guys are idiots. my track record with espn speaks for itself. they can fire me tomorrow (today) and i'm cool with it... and tony kornheiser does not put a dime in my pocket... he does not call the shot on who fills in on pti. the dude legitimately hates mariotti and mariotti sits in his chair all the time. kornheiser likes me, but i was banned from doing pti for 2 years... keep speculating about (spit) you know nothing about.

i like espn, but i love writing what i think more than i like being on espn.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Why, as I read all this, do I think we're taking this kind of thing much too seriously?

Yeah, we should be concerned with ethics. But this situation couldn't be much more transparent. It's not like readers will see that JW wrote about Kornheiser but have no idea he occasionally fills his seat on PTI. He's not trying to pull a fast one.

This isn't a guy covering a Senate race serving as the press secretary for one of the candidates.

The trophy wife thing? So not everybody gets it. Is it that big of a deal?

It's sports, it's entertainment, and it's entirely different than it was 25 years ago.

At this point, the Serenity Prayer comes to mind.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That's the point I was trying to make.

We've really sunk as journalists when we write for our peers and not our readers.

But I agree, I generally enjoy Whitlock's stuff.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, these days none of us can consider ourselves beyond reproach. Less scrupulous writers than most of us have made the news media suspect in many people's eyes. We have to err on the side of caution and can't afford even the appearance of conflict of interest.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/10/Worldandnation/Corporate_spin_can_co.shtml

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

Wow, another intelligent post from you. I am in awe. One of your best traits is that you always keep a level head and never, ever, resort to obscenities and name-calling. Your co-workers must love working with you. But let's review: A columnist is paid for his or her opinions and, therefore, is not expected to be objective. A reporter is paid to report the facts (I hope this isn't too complicated for you) and, therefore, must be objective. Which is why many editors I know would probably allow a columnist to speak to a women's organization but not a reporter.

You think Whitlock should avoid writing about TK? Fine. That's your opinion. But what about those columnists with ESPN ties who wrote about Dick Schaap when he died? I don't remember reading any objections.

12. it's also ok for me to dis someone (scoop) at espn, but it's a violation of ethics to praise someone at espn...
    thank you, sfexpress...

Draft saved Draft deleted