1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody's posted this yet? Whitlock on Kornheiser?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 8, 2006.

1. y'all really need to quit it.

if i can't write about the guy sitting in howard cossell's chair, i need to get out of the business.... if i can't use my relationship with kornheiser to write the column, then i need to get out of the business....

aaron barnhart realizes how much pub the washington post tv critic got for ripping kornheiser so he'd like to do a little bit on his web site or maybe even in the kc star...good luck with it... but he won't draw a reaction from me. the dude is harmless and he don't want any parts of my pimp hand.

2. bye bye...

You have profited from your relationship with Kornheiser and his TV show. Therefore, you cannot write glowing columns about him.

"...he don't want any parts..." nice use of the language. You're really a columnist?

3. welcome, when speaking pimpology you have to act the part.... you think iceberg slim quoted shakespeare?

that column ain't got a damn thang to do with my appearances on pti or espn. you know how many times espn has been pissed with me about something i've written?

i wrote what i thought of ozzie-mariotti and did pti with mariotti three weeks later without incident... i can't be bought... i'm on the outs with the sports reporters right now becuz i got lupica's panties all in a wad....

y'all really don't know me and how i roll...

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm guessing downhill.

5. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure that's a reaction.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

When in doubt, go for the fat joke.

I got your back, Jason.

Of course big guys gotta look out for one another.

Ain't none of the hatahs done been called "big sexy" on a national cable outlet.

7. Let's put the ethical issues aside for a moment and address some of the items in your column, Jason.

"...chooses to live five miles from the White House in a modest neighborhood..."? You make it sound like such a noble gesture. Tens of thousands of people choose to live within five miles of the White House. Upper Northwest DC, where I assume TK lives, is a very desirable place to live. "Modest"? Most of those houses cost in the million-dollar range. Sure, he could have moved to Potomac or Bethesda and lived in a mansion, but the nice parts of DC are very, very elite and a destination for many political and media high-rollers in Washington.

"...trophy wife..."? Trophy wife implies that an older, wealthier guy swept a young woman off her feet and enticed her to marry him, in large part because of his money. But TK and his wife have been married for decades, yes? Very poor choice of words, Jason, and quite unfair to his wife.

..."DC public school..."? So their kids maybe went to public elementary school in the District for a few years. Wow, how brave of them! If you actually looked into it, you would know that their kids attended an elite private high school (maybe middle school too, for all I know)! He talked about it all the time on his radio show. Again, your fawning trumps your ability to report the facts.

8. rgd

rgd Guest

To say Kornheiser is sitting in Cosell's chair is nuts. The chair no longer exists. In the world of 24/7 sports coverage and live televised pro and college football games nearly every night, MNF carries only a fraction of the significance of what it used to. Cosell's chair was special when he was in it because MNF was special. Now MNF is just another game.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Nowadays, though, it's going to be hard to find many "name" writers who haven't taken money from ESPN, etc., at some point. Which is one more reason why newspapers shouldn't permit it.

It doesn't matter that Jason feels he can't be bought. He could be a paragon of integrity for all I know, but most newspapers develop their ethics policies to avoid even the appearance of conflict of interest. Otherwise we would spend a lot of time saying to readers, "Sure, it looks bad, but you don't know this man. He can't be bought! You have to trust us on this!"

I've seen far worse, of course. I doubt Jason saw this as a chance to pimp for Tony. I have seen people abuse their positions on newspapers in much more intentional ways and get away with it.

While we're at it, can't anyone here fucking spell Cosell?

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Interesting conversation.
    It used to cause a fuss when female reporters had personal relationships with athletes they covered. Now, not so much, though most respectable ones still think that's a line that should not be crossed.
    But where is the line? It keeps moving. Major columnists are fishing buddies with team owners ... others write gushing pieces about people who can (possibly) pad their pockets ... and that ol' nugget about not sleeping with the elephants if you cover the circus no longer applies.
    Does any organization have strict rules with regard to this subject?

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No. Journalists don't like rules. Rules are for others.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Dudette, but that's cool ;)

My experiences obviously are different than yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted