1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody's posted this yet? Whitlock on Kornheiser?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 8, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think that column was worth it, just for the fact that Whitlock let me know that the PTI crew will be wearing "Anchorman"-style jackets on Mondays.
    I'm now setting the Tivo.
    So much thanks to Whitlock.

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

the tv critic at the kc star, aaron barnhart, takes a jab at whitlock in this blog post:
    http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2006/09/shales_and_bark.html

the underlined part is linked to the aforementioned whitlock column on kornheiser.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The answer is designers. They hate reading and writing, so they redefine the industry to appeal to the people "who are too busy to read the newspaper."

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

It's one thing if a story isn't well written and/or does nothing to hold the interest. But that's a matter of execution, not length.

And I know Dye beats the designer drum so much that people tend to tune him out.

But he's right.

5. qantas25

qantas25 New Member

That column is an abomination! I agree with Jersey that you don't get to columnize on people you have a financial interest with. Too many columnists get away with that garbage on a regular basis. In addition it was self-serving and didn't really tell me anything. TK's feud with the Post reviewer (Farhi) who blasted him was pretty well glossed over. Makes me wonder. Whitlock lost any credibility with me writing that pablum.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I liked the piece. Which I guess is why I can't see getting that bent out of shape over it. A lot of people who have never watched PTI will be watching MNF, and I think they would enjoy a little insight into this new face.

The details were good, like knowing TK lives in D.C. and even parks his Caddy in the street ("Jew-canoe" was a great quip).

And don't forget that graph near the end...Whitlock says someday he'll share the names of fellow sportswriters who have gotten into the TV gigs late in their careers and are trying waaay too hard to keep the spotlight on themselves. Give us the scoop first, Jason.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Will his own name be at the top of the list? That sounds like a jealous slam at others whom he thinks are trying to out-pimp him on his own corners.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That's just mean, and I'm sure JW will set you straight on the next episode of PTI/Around The Horn/Rome Is Burning/The Sports Reporters.

9. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

I like Whitlock.
    I love Kornheiser.
    I don't give a rat's rear that the two of them ate steamed rice and veggies.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I might be compelled to give one-tenth of a fuck if I ever watched any of those shows. However, since I don't watch, I don't give.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, the fat man can write, especially when he's going on and on and on about one of his favorite topics, himself.

12. Exactly. Not to mention the obvious conflict of interests here (financial windfall from appearing on Tony's show -- "I'll write really nice things about him, say how delicious the dinner was, how nice his wife was, so someday, when I'm all grown up, I too can be rich and famous. Hooray for me!"). Whitlock comes across as a 12-year-old fawning over his big-league hero outside the ballpark. Pathetic.

Draft saved Draft deleted