1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody wants Jay Cutler

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've been to a couple charity auctions and not everything sells. For the Cutler ball, it had a $100 minimum bid. As the story says, pretty pricy for a guy who may not be with the team in a year.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Don't go talking facts and stuff. Ruins a perfectly good story.

Actually, someone made a donation to the charity and bought it after this story broke.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Stop picking on Jay!
  5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

After the person bought it, as they tossed the ball to him, someone else stepped in front and intercepted it.
    Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Photoshop a cigarette in his mouth, stat!!!!
  8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I actually felt sorry for him when I read the story.
  9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Let's see--millionaire, Kristen Cavallari. Not sure I can drum up any degree of pity.
  10. RecoveringJournalist

I was at a charity function about a decade ago and one of the quarterbacks who I covered and had a pretty good relationship with had an autographed ball and jersey up for silent auction. This was for another player's charity.

The ball had a starting bid of $250 and the autographed jersey was $300. He pulls me aside and says, "If neither one of those gets to $500, I want you to place a bid and I'll pay you back."

I said, "Oh, everything here usually goes for way more than it should because of the charity."

He just looks at me and said, "You're not making me feel any better about this."

I don't think he would have stiffed me if it had become an issue, but I really didn't want to be in a position where I would have had to bug him about gettiing paid back.

Thankfully, the ball went for $750 and the jersey went for $1000.
  11. RecoveringJournalist

Oh, I know... I still cringed when I read the story.
Draft saved Draft deleted