1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobel Prize winner and DNA discoverer: Whites smarter than blacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 17, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's no smarter than Al Campanis. Tell me again, when did Campanis share in discovering the structure of DNA?

I guess the question I would have regarding the subject is this: Is he saying that whites are genetically predisposed to being smarter? Or is it the culture of each race that causes it to do better on certain tests?

There are tests that are a reliable indicator. Math is not a subjective thing. Neither is grammar. I don't believe one race is genetically predisposed to do better or worse on standardized grammar and math test.

But the culture one is raised in will clearly make a big difference.

So while all the lefties here lick their chops ready to call me a racist, here is my take.

Surely, a black kid raised in a stable, two-parent home will do better than a white kid raised by a crack-addicted single mom. Just as a white kid raised in a stable, two-parent home will do better than a black kid raised by a crack-addicted single mom.

And I believe a black kid and a white kid raised in comparable situations will most likely achieve on a comparable scale.

Now if some of you want to argue that inner city cultures -- white or black -- where single teens are popping out kid after kid by different fathers is equal to a middle-class area with a majority of two-parent families, you're completely fooling yourself.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

How does global warming affect a white kid raised by a crack-addicted single mom?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet Al Campanis knows more about baseball than this guy, too.

Just because he knows DNA doesn't make him any less a bigot.

When you are talking whites vs. black and whole continents, I don't think you are trying to account for environment. You are just saying one race is inferior.

And again, I don't think our tests are sophisticated enough to measure how well we use our brains. There are plenty of experts who will tell you IQ tests aren't worth spit.

Math tests aren't a good indicator of the smarts of someone who hasn't been taught math.

4. I don't agree with the guy, but I'm finding it hard to get upset about something said by a 70-odd something scientist.

It's interesting, and I understand some of the media play, but I don't get the naked outrage by the London mayor et al. Has anyone even heard from this guy since he discovered DNA? If anything, I'd love to read a biography on this guy and see how such an intelligent man came up with his point of view - but just to start ripping into him is an ignorant reaction. Then again, that's pretty much par for the course when talking about race these days.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Here's the original interview:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2630748.ece

And the relevant paragraph:

He says that he is “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours – whereas all the testing says not really”, and I know that this “hot potato” is going to be difficult to address. His hope is that everyone is equal, but he counters that “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true”. He says that you should not discriminate on the basis of colour, because “there are many people of colour who are very talented, but don’t promote them when they haven’t succeeded at the lower level”. He writes that “there is no firm reason to anticipate that the intellectual capacities of peoples geographically separated in their evolution should prove to have evolved identically. Our wanting to reserve equal powers of reason as some universal heritage of humanity will not be enough to make it so”.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Two things:
    1) The guy who discovered DNA is still alive?
    2) Did the reporters do any background checks on his lucidity between getting the quotes and writing the story?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That hasn't stopped others in the past. ESPN did a profile of Bobby Fischer a few years back despite the fact that Fischer is batshit crazy these days.

8. Now we know why he wasn't called to testify about DNA in the OJ murder trial ...

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is batshit crazy a technical term?

Doesn't sound like the guy is having trouble putting together his thoughts. Just that he's a bigot.

People can be very intelligent in one way and foolish in another.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Watson and Cracker.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It does make you wonder what would happen if their was a scientific test that said one gender or race or nationality was superior/inferior in some way to another. All the sudden the science would be called into question ala Global Warming et. al. Science and religion, the difference between what we know and what we believe. I wonder what you call it when you want to believe something is true though you know it is not.

12. Uh, the Republican platform?

Draft saved Draft deleted