1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you solicited me!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Sep 18, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, it's not another Larry Craig thread.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/091807/news_20070918057.shtml

Seems one of the guys who got busted in a Dateline sting is trying a new tack: Having the leader of Perverted Justice arrested for soliciting a felony. (By the way...add soliciting to the list of words I can't type for some reason.)

Basically the principle is that it's illegal to solicit someone to commit a felony. You can't say "Hey, wanna buy some drugs?" and then have that person arrested for trying to buy drugs. Well, you can, but you get arrested too.

So he's obviously nuts, and it won't work, but what I find interesting is the judge's rationale:

"But von Erck still can't be charged with solicitation, Hodges ruled. Since the potential 15-year-old victim did not really exist, there wasn't a "clear and present danger" that White could have committed child molestation or statutory rape, according to Hodges."

OK...but the guy's being charged with attempted child molestation and attempted statutory rape. Has not the judge undercut the whole case here? Can you attempt to do something you can't actually do? (And please, no Bengals defense jokes.)

2. This is how Patrick Dorismond happened to get shot in NYC, too.
    Thanks, Rudy.
    The wheels are coming off the Dateline wagon on this one in a big way.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

From a legal standpoint, I've never understood how those guys could get charged with anything given that the victim didn't exist. Reminds me of Minority Report.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Seriously, lets wait for the DNA tests from the 11 year victims before we treat these disturbed but obviously sick people. Society has no right to secure the safety of those least able defend themselves unless an actual crime is committed. Let's not punish folks just because they intend to commit a crime and take a substantial step toward the culmination of their malicious desires.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Have to agree with heyabbott here. I understand this steps into some subjective territory, but when in doubt, let's put the potential child molester in jail, ok?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And when in doubt, let's put the potential terrorist in jail. And when in doubt, let's put the potential murderer in jail. And when in doubt, let's put the potential thief in jail. And when in doubt, let's put the potential drug user in jail. And when in doubt, let's put the potential reckless driver in jail.

This won't be a popular opinion, but no, let's not.

I understand people want their kids protected from these scumbags, I really do. I also understand that people want to be protected from terrorists. But there are legal ways to do this stuff that don't trample on people's rights either.

I've never agreed with Dateline using this crap to boost ratings and the fact that these people are being arrested by means that would be illegal if done by the police bothers me. How does it make sense that if the police used the same tactic, the cases would be thrown out, but because some private organization (which making a heap of money, btw) is doing it, it's OK?

I'm not against putting child molesters or attempted child molesters in jail. But let's do it right and not continue to erode our freedoms.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Yes it will.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No it won't.
    These guys are already on their computers searching for potential victims. Do you think this is the first time they have done this?
    There is no doubt Chris Hansen is a douche but I think we can all agree that there is nothing lower in this world than a pedophile.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm an 11-year-old girl and my parents will be gone for the weekend. Come see me -- and bring handcuffs.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You're right.
    And it's not the people from Perverted Justice that go searching for these predators. These scumbags always take the initiative and start the messaging.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Do you know any 11-year-old boys?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. Come over. You'll have a toe-tapping good time.

Draft saved Draft deleted