1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you haven't been fired, you've been offboarded

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 25, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Now that layoffs are coming on strong, "fired" is the new "f" word.

I always find it amusing the length to which companies can come up with new weasel words.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081117.WBtheoffice20081117145310/WBStory/WBtheoffice/

Lots of oldies but goldies in the list and some new ones which I can add to my "Weaselword Encyclopedia" :

Besides "offboarding", I also like "rebalancing the level of human capital"

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Offboarding sounds a lot like walking the plank.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Better than being waterboarded.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Arr, that's the thought I had first me matey.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

"Rightsizing" is the one that makes me want to vomit. Because you know some corporate asshole was locked in a room somewhere trying to put a positive spin on "downsizing." All involved in such a vapid exercise should be strung up by their nutsack/labia.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I don't know, that depends on whether or not you have a job afterwards.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

We get furloughed in the airline business. I guess that carries a bit more meaning since we can have our job back if it is reopened later.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Anybody announcing layoffs, and especially anybody responsible for informing employees that they've been laid off, should be required by law to utter the following phrase at the very top of their spiel:

"We apologize. We fucked up."

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think companies are more apt to cut jobs if they are using the term 'layoffs' instead of 'firings'. 'Firings' sounds a lot more harsh, and I think companies might think twice about bad publicity if they announced '5,000 firings' instead of '5,000 layoffs'.

But of course, 'money' is the main reason.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I like the term "retrenchment"

Draft saved Draft deleted