1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Wonder I use Netflix

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Jul 2, 2008.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Local theater, first-run movies, Tuesday afternoon ...

$5.00 matinee movie, 50 cents to fill a lap-sized container with popcorn. Bottle of soda in the side pocket of my cargo shorts, and I'm on my way.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It's a rarity that I go to movie theaters. If I do the math, I usually only go to a movie theater probably about 2-3 times a year. It's usually just spur of the moment or there's a good movie out that I can't wait another few months to see it on video. With buying food, I generally grab a bite to eat before I go to the movies or I'll sneak in food. Nothing like having a girlfriend with you who can shove it in their purse, or if you're wearing a sweatshirt just hide it in the pocket. They never know.

Netflix is a nice, little feature, though. My roommates last year used it and received 3-6 movies a week by mail usually a day or two after ordering it online.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

During the winter, my wife once snuck two McDonald's bags filled with value meals for the two of us, along with large soft drinks and a chocolate shake for us to share. Held it all under a large coat. Was a remarkable engineering feat, comparable to the Brooklyn Bridge. We also make sure to sneak into at least one, usually two (and once four) movies after the one we paid for. Makes the ludicrous pricing seem not so bad. I'm actually tuning up for a marathon sneaking session in Times Square's 25-screen place on the Fourth. Hoping to go from 10 am until the last show. If my ass can handle it. Lot harder to sneak drinks in during the summer, though.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've smuggled in splits of champagne, but those cases were exceptional situations.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Mister Pibb + Red Vines = crazy delicious!

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I go to the movies regularly. But only early screenings on weekdays. Unless Bad Gal Zero and I are going to go see something together. She doesn't have schedule flexibility with her job to allow her to join me for Iron Man at 11am on a Thursday.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sneaking into movies is easy in the days of multiplexes. There's a theater here that has screens on three floors, with one way up the steps and around the corner from the front lobby. Line up the movie times right and you can really see some cheap flicks!!

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Hell...back in the 80s a couple of buddies and me would sneak a case of beer into the movies everytime we went. Top Gun was a hell of a lot better after several cans of Busch.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It so pays to be a girl in this situation. You can fit a LOT of crap if you have a decent-sized purse and absolutely no one wants to look in there because they might get an eyefull of something they don't want to see.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Does Mrs. Hecht loan you out for movie dates?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's hard being a pimp. [/mrshecht]

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Adopting a sloppy trenchcoat is the best way to pull this off . . . (no Pee-Wee Herman jokes, please . . . )

. . . and it's only prudent to anticipate loud soundtrack moments in the coming attractions in order to unpop corked bubbly with some measure of subtlety . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted