1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Wonder I use Netflix

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Went to the movies yesterday with a buddy to Wanted.

2 matinee tickets 12 dollars.

One large popcorn, box of licorice, 2 large sodas 17.25.

Unbelievable!

Usually, I will sneak my goodies in, but this was a spur of the moment thing. I am guessing it wont happen again.

17.25. Ridiculous.

So, do you ever buy at the theater? (I know about the "refill" thread, but that kinda turned into a "Mikey is a dork...surprise! thread". So I'll ask here)

I can't imagine a situation where I would again.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We have Netflix, a nice TV and our house is air conditioned.

Honestly, I don't see us every going to a theater again.

I would go by myself to a matinee, but only if the movie had outstanding reviews like Iron Man.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do you go to the theater that forces you to buy the popcorn and soda?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bargain days and smuggling -- always, the winning combination.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

As a matter of fact, they held a gun to my head while an acne covered teenager whispered "if you ever want to see your family again...you'll buy the licorice" ;D

And it WAS bargain day. But bargain prices do not apply to new releases for two weeks.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A few weeks back, I went to the movies with a (wealthy) friend and her two kids. We each got a small popcorn, each got a small drink and she also bought one box of candy and a pretzel. I think the tab at the snack counter alone was close to $50. I couldn't believe it. Luckily, it was her treat. ;D

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am dreading the day I have to take Lil 93 to the movie theater.

And yes, I will have to.

And yes, she will look at me with her big blues and ask if she can have popcorn like the other kids.

I am just going to fold like a tortilla. I know I will. And you know, the theater will be the only place I see myself folding because she will have a legit point when I take her to the place, and then I tell her no.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you get free refills of licorice?

I still go to movies. (And am a Netflix customer).

But when I take the kids I get a large drink (only a quarter more!) and we share it. No way I am springing for three $4 medium drinks.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I only go to see movies that would be best viewed on the huge screen. The rest I can deal with seeing later or on a smaller scale.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When you have kids, it's hard to avoid the theater.
    Smuggling is the way to go. With cargo pants, there are plenty of pockets for a can of soda and some candy. That $4 box of Raisinettes is a buck at Wal-Mart.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for movie theaters. I just think it's better. Unless you shelled out a couple million for a private theater, I don't think watching on any TV can be the same.

I don't go see every movie at the theater, and agree theaters are better for some movies than others, but I go see whatever I want. It's an entertainment experience, the same as going to see a game or going out to dinner.

Draft saved Draft deleted