1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No white before Memorial Day?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KnuteRockne, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think the poorly dressed are any more likely to wind up in hell than I am, although they may sweat more there in their polyester shirts and rubber-soled shoes. What gets me is the reverse snobism. You have a thread asking if a rule exists, numerous people acknowledge that it does without tearing into the offender, and then you have a couple people screaming, "What do you mean I only get three strikes in baseball? Who says? I demand five!" You don't like the game, don't play, but don't go branding people as assholes for going by the rules. It strikes of an inferiority complex and anger-management problems.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter to a hockey player how many strikes there are in baseball. Likewise, to someone who doesn't play the fashionable game and doesn't judge people by what they wear, colors are just colors, not de facto calendars.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I guess it's the idea that someone came up with rules -- for things like when you can and can't wear white -- that annoys me more than anything else.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not one person came up with "rules" on wearing white any more than one person came up with the "rule" that men walk on the curb side of the sidewalk when walking with a woman.

Highly old fashioned, probably sexist as hell, but my mother used to berate me up and down for lapses. :)

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I see people of all ages dressing today in ways that were unacceptable 20 years ago. Ten years ago. Five years ago. Who makes these decisions about what is convention and what is not? Nonconformists typically end up setting the trends, the fashion and what ultimately becomes convention. And on it goes.

If someone bases their opinion of me with respect to my decision not to let others dictate how I dress, I will still sleep at night. But for the record, no white pants in my closet.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That was just one chili dog after one ballgame, slappy. Be fair.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I agree. You are way too upfront about your feelings.
    [​IMG]

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The only time I ever in my life wore white pants was while I was in the Navy. And they were bell-bottoms as well, so I was most definitely the height of fashion.

And the Navy's sense of fashion timing is all kinds of messed up because they definitely go to whites way earlier than Memorial Day. Thank God, too. You ever try wearing Navy working or dress blues when it's already warm outside? Gasp!

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, you are sea men.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This should go under the Pet Peeve thread, but I always hated the rank names the Navy used for their enlisted sailors.

Seaman recruit
    Seaman apprentice
    Seaman
    Petty officer third class
    and so on.

Man, I ain't petty! And I certainly don't need to be an apprentice to learn how to be a sea-
    uhm, I've said too much. ;)

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The only major change in men's fashion in the last forty years is that being dressed like a slob is now acceptable in lots of social circles.

Even ten years ago I wore a suit and tie to work every day. When casual Fridays were introduced, some people thought sweat pants and t-shirts were "casual" clothes.

I think Frank said it best--you dress appropriately for the occasion.

Showing up at a formal dinner party in cut-off jeans and a t-shirt isn't flaunting convention or being a non conformist, it's just plain rude and classless.

Draft saved Draft deleted