1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No white before Memorial Day?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KnuteRockne, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And I have every to right to think that someone who judges someone by whether they wear white before Memorial Day is an asshole, social convention or not.

Why do people concern themselves with these things?

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Kind of a hobby, I guess, just like anything else. Why does anyone concern themselves with, say, who directed which movie? Or who will win tonight between Ohio State and Tennessee tonight?

All just a way to pass the time between life and death.

Plus, dressing well helps me keep from getting bored with myself. Makes the mornings fun.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Could've been worse. Mer could've wore white AFTER Labor Day. If anybody ever saw "Serial Mom," you know how Kathleen Turner dealt on Patty Hearst about that.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bubbler,

It's the same as knowing which fork to use and how to use it. If you pretend it's a shovel, people think you just fell off the turnip truck.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Frank, usually I'm with you, but acting like you described, basically discarding all manners, is different.

How someone dresses has nothing to do with manners or respect for others. It's a preference.

Apples and oranges.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Really, you are way too defensive about it. It's simply a matter of what's conventionally appropriate to a situation -- it takes the guesswork out of it. The slobs are equally, and perhaps even more judgmental about those who choose to dress well, and they do not always have the good manners to be quiet about it, either. I would never tell a colleague, "You look like a pig," but a few of them have no qualms about insinuating I am overdressed. Anyway, you clearly have nothing to worry about since the slobification of America shows no signs of abating. It's getting to the point that we'll soon be mocking people who bathe daily and bother to comb their hair.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I normally adhere to the no whites except Memorial Day to Labor Day. But I usually break them out earlier for the Kentucky Derby. If that makes me a heathen, I'm okay with it.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

meredith viera can wear whatever she wants. you're right, byh, she's a total milf. back in the day -- 1981 -- i was a news sider in n.y. and worked a murder story that meredith was assigned to by local cbs -tv news. to say she was breathtaking would be an understatement. smart, funny and drop-dead gorgeous. 8) :eek: 8)

9. Frank_Ridgeway

I disagree with that. I think how I choose to dress does indicate how I feel about others.

When I was single, if I dressed up for a date, it indicated to the woman that I felt she was worth making an effort for. Now some women do not like to be treated with respect, but that's another matter. Now that I've been with the same woman for 13 years, the fact that I'll wear a tie for a "date," indicates I do not take her for granted.

If I am invited to a party and the hostess clearly has made some significant effort to make things nice, it is rude to show up like I'm ready to pull weeds. That doesn't mean a tux, it means dressing to the highest level of appropriateness, not the lowest. It indicates gratitude for having been invited and respect for the effort the host family made.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's fine if you apply those mores to yourself, Frank. No problem with that.

When you start applying it to other people? It makes someone sound like a condescending ass who throws stones for the sake of throwing stones at other people.

And JR, table manners and the mores of the fashion police are two completely different things. Table manners are part of interaction with other people and should be refined. But whether someone wears white before Memorial Day has nothing to do with anything. Perhaps other than living up some some snobby ideal that probably comes from some dumb ass Victorian-era tradition that has nothing to do with anything contemporary.

And if someone thinks I fell off a turnip truck because of what I wear, so be it. If their judgments of others make them feel better about themselves, good for them.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Bubbler, you came on here and profanely derided people merely for acknowledging that, yes, there is a rule. No one was mocking anyone until you fired the first "fuck you." I cannot see how you dress, but I can see what you wrote. It is you who is being a condescending, judgmental, unmannered slob. And you would be one whether or not you dressed in a tux. Learn some manners.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I never wear white pants, at least not now. I finally realized that white polyester was just wrong in any season, and food mishaps always seem to happen to me, so another reason why I stay away from light colors. That said, I couldn't care less if my heart surgeon was wearing overalls and flannel in the middle of the Ritz Carlton, or if a banker was giving me a loan while wearing a Slappo the Clown outfit, or if Meredith Veira was wearing a while jumpsuit in the middle of a snowstorm.

Draft saved Draft deleted