1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No white before Memorial Day?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KnuteRockne, Mar 22, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Love Daily Candy...

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Friend of mine sent me a picture of her St. Patrick's Day celebrations. In the picture was my friend and three other girls -- ALL 4 of them wearing white slacks and green tops.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Sidenote: I read or heard recently that CBS Evening News' ratings are worse with Katie Couric than they were when Bob Schieffer was "filling in" on the show.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, white bucks are traditional during summer. The phrase "white-shoe law firm" refers to WASPY, elitist, Ivy League-educated corporate lawyers who are unlikely to frequent a bingo hall. White bucks, seersucker suits, bow ties, that kind of look.

I don't think I could pull off wearing white bucks. I have my eyes on these off-white (light stone) ones:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/FlexPlaintoeOxfordShoes-74304_129697_-1.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_74304&sid=4728137794745138000

I already have a pair of the Lands End dirty bucks (tan). They are nice for the money.

Answer to the question, yes, the "rule" is that except for shirts, white is for Memorial Day through Labor Day. Some people also believe this applies to stone khakis, but I break that "rule" because A.) I love stone khakis and B.) 95 percent of the people don't know the "rules" anyway.

I don't have any white trousers. I have some white shorts that I wear in the summer when it's warm enough to sit on the beach but the water is still too cold.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't forget the bowler hat.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Never mind proper dressing, I'd be more than happy if everyone learned the right way to hold their fork.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why does anyone give two shits about these stupid, so-called rules?

Fuck you fashion police.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is wearing pants just a random thing for you?

10. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Thank you. Finally some sanity.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You're free to dress however you want. There are also no laws against talking with your mouth full, picking your nose in public or not giving up your seat to an old person on a bus. They are social conventions and, rightly or wrongly, people who ascribe to them make certain judgments about the upbringing of people who don't. Of course some people were raised with proper manners and still give the impression that they were raised by wolves.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted