1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-whining, one-year sports writer -- Youngstown, Ohio, Vindicator

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, May 18, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Vindicator in Youngstown, OH, seeks reporter applicants for a sports reporting post at our 80K daily print and online readership.
    The ideal candidate will be well-versed in current digital reporting trends and tools. But you must also demo the time-tested skills of storytelling, sourcing and news instincts.
    This is a one-year post that can roll into full-time if you got the goods. The last thing we want to do is grow with you, and then send you out the door.
    AP just crowned us best in Ohio for our size — for the second year in a row.
    Maybe you'll find us worthy, too?
    Like our industry, we are a company in tremendous transition and fighting some tough economic circumstances.

No whiners, please; just winners.
    If you're this person, please consider us. Email a resume, 10- 12 clips and 4 professional references to Editor Todd Franko at tfranko@vindy.com. (No phone calls, please.)

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports reporter opening

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

God, where do we start?

Company in tremendous transition= we may lay you off at any time.

Tough economic circumstances = see above, and add that you won't get paid in peanuts because we can't afford it. But we can give you some peanut shells.

A one-year post that can roll into full-time= So in other words, you want everyone on one-year probation instead if the standard 90 days or so. How insecure.

The last thing we want to do is grow with you and send you out the door= but we're willing to do it if you whine about the peanut shells or anything else.

10-12 clips= Because we can't tell if you have the goods if you only have 8 or 9 clips.

No whiners, just winners= Yay, a useless slogan to have with your ramen noodles.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Please, Baron ... it's "if you got the goods."

And quit whining about our ad ... AP just crowned us, so our head's a little groggy ... :rolleyes:

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they don't want whiners, they are thinning out the list of potential sports writing candidates pretty significantly.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

FWIW, all my interactions with Ed, the Vindy Sports Editor, have been super positive.
    I haven't been in that slice of earth for a few years now, so I have no insight/knowledge of the job or current situation out in Youngstown. But my dealings with Ed have been great and left me with the impression that he's a good guy to work with and an editor who will have his writers' backs.

P.S.
    I don't know anything about Todd.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's not all bad. You get a 15-minute break after nine months.

8. EddieM

EddieM Member

If this is the position I think it is, your pay will be (unsurprisingly) very low. I've had good interactions with Todd Franko in the past, but if I'm an applicant, I go into this with plenty of questions about the economic reality here.

9. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

10. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Got grammar?

11. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Are you allowed to whine after 1 year, or will you be un-vindicated?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Crossthreading with the San Diego U-T thread, I realize that I fell in the same pattern that I was complaining about there.

So, I'll amend it with this:

Company in tremendous transition= we may fire you at any time.

Draft saved Draft deleted