1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No. Way.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What surprises me more than her lying is the number of people that fall all over themselves to buy into this crap. A societal sickness in my view.

^^^^
    EDIT: For the record, the line above is in reference to the Gagne story on Golf Digest. But I don't believe this kid's (dad's) story either. As the saying goes, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Of course not. Why would you? After all, it's not like your kid just (allegedly) sank three aces.

Fuckin' liars.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My worst golf nightmare is playing by myself and making an ace. I would go batshit crazy.

But if this really happened (and of course I, too, call hot steaming bullshit)...the father just should have said, 'son, you and I are going to have to take this to the grave. It's too ridiculous."

4. part-timer

part-timer Member

That sort of happened to me, my only witness was my wife. Of course, when I tell people this they think I'm full of it. What makes the story more crazy is the hole I had my ace is where my parents built their retirement home.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bull-bleeping-shit.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't believe it for a second either, but what motive could they have for lying?

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Kindred, honestly, what a freaking fantastic story. Baffling reporting, tremendous pacing and a hell of a punch line.

Wow. I hate, hate, hate golf, but that was a hell of a story.

O'course, with a bat-shit crazy woman like Gagne, take away some points...

8. KG

KG Active Member

I know it’s not the same, but there was this one night, just one night, where I smoked every single person that dared step up to the pool table with me. I never play, so I’m not that good, but for some reason this one particular night, my good luck was just endless. It was like I could see every single play before I even made the shot. When I’d take the shot it was like BAM, the ball went exactly where I wanted it to.

Now this hasn’t happened again since then, and I’ve played probably six or so times in the couple of years since, but that one night I was totally on fire. Maybe this kid had a game kind of like my night, where he was just on fire and there was no stopping him. True, the odds of having a game like that are slim, but if I can beat every person I play in a single night of pool, then I believe just about anything can happen.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The attention they've already received?

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This was a brilliant evisceration by Kindred. Note he doesn't exactly call her a liar, but lets the facts do it for him. Masterful piece of writing.

I remember Larry Bohannan, the excellent golf writer of the Desert Sun, telling me this story in August. My first words to him were "Are you kidding? There's no effin' way..." He said "That's what I thought, but I talked to a bunch of people who have corroborated it..." Yet, he still was really skeptical about it.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

WAY!

I'm sorry. I thought this thread was referring to Waynes World.

Draft saved Draft deleted