1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Tweeting during practice: Redskins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Sep 16, 2010.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I didn't say it wasn't news. But our job isn't to shoot first and ask questions later, which is what Twitter essentially encourages you to do. So you Twitter out a message that says, "Tom Brady just left practice after limping off the field." And then 15 minutes later he is back at practice running through drills. Maybe it's a bad example. Point is, our job is to see Tom Brady go off the field, then find out what, if anything, is wrong with him, THEN report it and put it into context for the public. When we send something out on Twitter, we cut out the middle man. And the jacked up thing is that WE ARE the middle man. Walking around with a cell phone providing play-by-play on what you see isn't the job. A high school kid can do that. The job is investigating what you see, and then putting all of that into proper context.

Hey, Twitter can be a valuable tool when used correctly. My biggest beef is that in using it the way most of us do (or are instructed to do), we are training our readers to go to Twitter.com for their info instead of our papers' web sites. And if a team wants to make a futile, perhaps even misguided, decision to ban Twitter from practice? Well, it just might prevent us from doing more work that has no tangible benefit to our newspaper's coffers.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Farkin' beautiful.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At one point on Aug. 3, "Brett Farve to retire" was "trending" (whatever the fuck that means) No. 2 on Twitter.

Erroneous information with the guy's name misspelled.

That's where we are today.

And I'll be happy to "whiff" on such things till the day my company gives me the ax. If the kind of journalism I believe in doesn't exist anymore, I'll just find something else to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted