1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Tweeting during practice: Redskins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Flash

Flash Active Member

This means you, the media.

You could have your access revoked.

Is this a big deal to you? It wasn't so long ago that Twitter wasn't a part of your job function.

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/washington-redskins-latest-team-to-ban-twittering-from-practice-fields/

2. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

I'm not sure if practice fields fall under private property, but wouldn't the First Amendment prohibit the ban? I doubt it would, but just a thought.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't think the First Amendment would apply here. It's a private business. I'd think it would be similar to a factory telling a newspaper photog they can't shoot certain parts of the building.

The story said that the Redskins are trying to work with the beat reporters on the policy. I hope the reporters are telling the Redskins to go F themselves.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Same thing at Colts training camp. If you so much as pulled your phone out of your pocket, some eagle-eyed PR guy would tell you to put it back. I could understand (though still not agree with) the policy at a closed practice as opposed to open-to-the-public camps.

5. Flash

Flash Active Member

Isn't that kinda not his business? What if you were checking an email from the editor or taking a call from the wife?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Skins had this policy last year, too. This ain't new.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why would anyone bring up the First Amendment? If anyone says the Redskins don't have to the right to ban Tweeting, they need to take media law again. And who cares if your wife calls. I don't answer the phone if I'm busy.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Something our newspaper editors should have done already. Now, not only are we giving away the fruits of our labor/access for free, we're giving it away on somebody else's platform so that they reap the benefits.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, this is not a 2010 thing. The Redskins were one of "my" teams in my work for CBS last year and they put something like this in place. Only thing was, they let the guy from their flagship station continue to tweet. So what my guy and some others did was tweet what he was tweeting. Full attribution and everything. "Clinton Portis this or that or whatever, Station WXXX tweeted from practice."

Skins went apeshit over it but there wasn't much they could do about that. You can sit in the media room and re-tweet whatever you want.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well jeez, my wife knows better than to not call during training camp.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good point there. Last football season, my old paper was updating a game I was interested in on its Facebook page. Scores kept coming in and I'm thinking sweet. Just freshen my Facebook page. Didn't even have to go to their site.

I'm trying to think of a valid comparison of how badly newspapers whiffed on the Internet and I can't come up with one. So many are still playing catchup. A few have figured it out and created a good marriage. Are they making any money?

12. Flash

Flash Active Member

Maybe yours does. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted