1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Timeouts Left

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Webber about to retire.

I grew up on the Fab Five. Loved them at the time. I still have the infamous UNC "Timeout" Game on VHS. A story like this makes me feel old.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3311954

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Ray and Jimmy are weeping tonight.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Remind me, how many NCAA titles did they win?

And with so much union (i.e., organized crime) involved in their recruiting, we are still supposed to think the Webber timeout was an accident?

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I know they never won a title. But those Duke and UNC teams were no slouches at the time either. Plus, they were older.

That said, good point about the mob. However, I think it was an accident only because he nearly travelled just seconds before, and looked to motion for a timeout then, too.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Could have had one (thank CW. I won my pool with UNC), and they played in another.

Doesn't matter. Even if they were recruited cleanly and Ed Martin lurking around East Lansing, Meeechigan w/Fab Five would have not won a title.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And the one guy who knew the truth is dead. In my best Church Lady voice: How convenient.

Seriously, I was a fan, too, but that's the damnable part when dirty money gets involved, Who knows where it stops?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ding ding ding.

Funny how Ed Martin died in prison, isn't it? And not funny haha. EDIT: you beat me to it. Blast.

Memo to Starman: Please report to this thread ASAP.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll fill in... Webber was a punkass prick from his sophomore year in high school on. He knew what was going on.
    That's the year when he changed from a nice young player to an entitled prick -- remember? Three-sport athlete at Coundtry Day -- Basketball, AAU Basketball and Aerobics?

Ed martin died before his conviction and his record was clean, since the feds had to drop the charges because a deadman can't be found guilty.

And let us not forget, he never should have been in a position to call time out because the selfish prick SOB walked after receiving the inbound pass.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That leaves Howard as the last Fab Fiver to be playing in the NBA.

Fine player, but didn't see that coming.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Fab Five has fallen so far in my mind I seriously don't think I can name all five anymore: Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, hmm, Ray Jackson?

Dugan Fife? Nope, way too white. Robert Traylor? He was later and fatter.

Wikipedia confirms that it was Jimmy King. Whatever became of him and Jackson?

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Jimmy King was still kicking around the CBA a couple of years ago but is working now for Merrill Lynch, since he knows a bit about large quantities of ill-gotten money. Ray Jackson is molding the lives of young men in Austin. Per Wikipedia:

Jackson now lives in Austin, Texas where he runs a moving company and Rise Up Inc., a not-for-profit organization that assists children socially, educationally and on the basketball court

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I always though Ray Jackson was to the Fab Five as Bill Wyman was to the Rolling Stones, a total afterthought. If memory serves, King was one of the most hyped coming in.

Draft saved Draft deleted