1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Thread on the Meltdown of TNR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2014.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much the opposite of a conservative bastion, but why inform yourself about a pub when you can make sweeping statements that tout your ignorance.

Whatever the publisher's plans -- of getting access to some long-dead political cocktail scene -- he bought a logo which now has been completely discredited by the people who made it a logo. He. Fucked. Up. Luckily he is rich enough to throw good money after bad, which is the TNR tradition.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

I'm confused. You first say TNR is "synonymous" with conservative thinking. Then you say it's the "opposite of a conservative bastion." You do know these two phrases contradict each other, right? Do you mean antonymous?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You must be new here.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I didn't incorrectly say they were conservative bastion, Boom70 did.

5. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

My apologies to Boom for mixing you two up.

But I don't think Boom is the one mis-characterizing TNR, here...

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What the fuck are you talking about?

studthug12 likes this.
  7. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

Sorry. Not trying to make this a thing. And I'm being too snarky.

But in general, I'm disagreeing with the premise that TNR is conservative, or synonymous with conservatism. Because that's bogus. The rest was me, in the proverbial case of pot calling the kettle black, making my own mistake by thinking Boom's response was from the OP of the comment I disagreed with.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think some are confusing The New Republic with The National Review, seeing as both can be TNR.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. YankeeFan

Jeff's purchase of Sportsjournalists.com vs. Chris Hughes purchase of TNR.

Compare and contrast.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Clearly this site "felt right" for Jeff whereas Chris might be regretting his splash into the world of magazine journalism.

12. YankeeFan

To the staff of The New Republic,

I have some difficult news today: I have decided to put The New Republic up for sale. I bought this company nearly four years ago to ensure its survival and give it the financial runway to experiment with new business models in a time of immense change in media. After investing a great deal of time, energy, and over $20 million, I have come to the conclusion that it is time for new leadership and vision at The New Republic.

Over the past few years we have made good progress in reinvigorating this institution. Our readership has grown younger and more diverse, largely as a result of our digital strategy. Our journalism has been widely recognized as impactful, impassioned, and more relevant to our nation’s challenges than ever. As a business, we have launched a brand marketing studio called Novel, built a flexible and fast mobile website, and developed our own content management system. We have made it possible for The New Republicto survive and begin to flourish in its second century.

Draft saved Draft deleted