1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No thread on Canada tax cuts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ottawa is Washington, just without the exurban nodes (the tail of which reaches fucking Boston) ... or DC's unquantifiable arrogance.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For all intents and purposes, Ottawa is in the middle of nowhere.

The original idea was to put the capital in what is now Kingston, Ontario but they decided it left us open for attack by you Yankees. :)

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

-
    My feeling about taxes is you should know how much you're getting screwed.

When the GST was originally introduced, it replaced a patchquilt of hidden taxes like the 8% manufacturing tax.

GST is brilliant in its simplicity. Since it's a pass through tax, the government is using corporations as tax collectors.

4. I hope I never get exurban nodes.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Speaking of Ottawa, I will take the Deerfoot of the Queensway any day. The Queensway is crazy!

By the way, was there any mention of lowering the HST in the Maritimes?
    Man, does it hurt to pay 15 per cent in tax when I go home.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ontario has a provincial sales tax, too. We pay 8% on top of the GST.

Besides, the Maritimes has to have some revenue streams to pay for all the people on welfare down there. :)

7. They're going to be talking about this in the castle on the next election night, I'm guessing.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I bet if you asked really nicely you could be a "south of the border" pundit and get to sit at the big desk in the castle next election.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

1.05 and climbing!

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is great--unless you're an exporter. If you don't get creative, you're going to be in deep doodoo.

From yesterday's Globe:

Canadian exporters should expand into new frontiers in the Middle East, Africa and South America and look beyond the United States as a main market, Export Development Canada's chief economist urged yesterday.

The U.S., home to about 80 per cent of Canadian exports, is now at even odds of a recession next year, Stephen Poloz said in his global export forecast.

Weaker demand south of the border and a strong Canadian dollar will chop Canadian export growth by more than half, to 1.5 per cent, in 2008, he predicted.

Lacklustre U.S. demand means Canadian companies should reach into new, emerging markets - and not just the traditional hot spots of China and India. Booming demand in other regions means the EDC itself plans to establish permanent postings in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates and Santiago, Chile, next year….

Many Middle Eastern companies need foreign firms to help build bridges, construct hotels, upgrade oil and gas projects, and install water treatment plants. This year, Canadian exports to the region soared 35 per cent, compared with an expected overall export growth of just 3.7 per cent.

Next year, exports to the Middle East are expected to climb another 27 per cent.

Africa has a growing need for mining and oil and gas equipment and engineering, along with power plants and other infrastructure. South American countries such as Brazil, Argentina and Peru are also attractive potential markets, he added….

His comments come as overall conditions are seen deteriorating for Canadian exporters next year.
    Mr. Poloz expects two-thirds of exporters will experience "considerable stress" in 2008, particularly those that depend on the U.S. housing market, such as furniture, cabinet and door and window makers. Car parts producers will also struggle, along with telecom equipment, forestry, paper, chemical and metals
    industries.

One-third of exporters will fare better, such as the agri-food business, which will benefit from a switch to biofuels, along with the fertilizer, energy and aerospace industries.

EDC sees dramatically lower prices for both oil and the Canadian dollar. The loonie may sink as low as 85 cents (U.S.) by the end of next year as commodity prices weaken and investors return to the U.S. currency….

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, you could live in Illinois. You've got Larry, Moe and Curly trying to reach into your pockets there. :)

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I personally don't care about anything Harper does right about now.

He is a dick in my view...

Draft saved Draft deleted