1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No talk about Chuck Culpepper's masterful NCAA game story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is a bit ... too much.

It had claimed its second national championship 31 Aprils after its first. It had added another pinnacle to the storied occasion of 1985 in Lexington, Ky., when a No. 8-seeded Villanova faced a towering Georgetown and rode near-perfection to the kind of 66-64 upset that lives on in memory banks and highlight reels. On this freshest Monday night, a No. 2-seeded Villanova reached a 35-5 peak in Coach Jay Wright’s 15th season and looked very much like it had become, by the end — especially the very end — the nation’s hardiest, most united, most resourceful team.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thank goodnesw SoloFlyer is here to put this place back on course.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The worst part is that he made me agree with you for once.

Tweener likes this.
  4. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

I'll give him the first two grafs, but yeah, that's where he lost me, too.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No joke. Usually all it takes to start a discussion is, like, a story link from someone who actually read it. Funny how that works.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Long winded. Trying too hard to be poetic. I know the gamer is no longer about play by play details, but this strays too far into the lyrical realm.

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Two entirely different stories and scenarios. Culpepper's was written in the immediate moments following the game. He said in an interview that his first draft was submitted 6-8 minutes after the buzzer and then the writethru about an hour later.

Macur wrote that night but I doubt she got all of the interview used in her story done, written and formulated into her well-written piece that quickly. It was probably a couple hours after the buzzer.

Macur's is well done and well-reported. I think what's caught my eye - and the eye of others on Twitter - is that Culpepper's was a true print deadline story done within an hour or so of the final buzzer. Macur likely had. a bit more freedom.

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I'm not allowed to be disappointed that this place rarely talks about the craft anymore? The closest we've gotten to that lately is why some airhead news anchor got fired for a social media post.

It surprised me that 24 hours after a major game with a thrilling ending, not one link to a story has been posted, either on the journalism board or within the basketball thread. Not one. Not Culpepper's, not Macur's, not any of the Yahoo guys, nothing.

There were a few brief posts about using Thrillanova as the headline and that was it for the shop talk.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

If you were so fired up to talk about the craft of a great story that you read, then you could have posted it your ownself instead of not seeing anything about it for a couple of days and then bitchin' that nobody's talking about it.

Just sayin'.

HanSenSE and KYSportsWriter like this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's just sports, man.

HanSenSE and KYSportsWriter like this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I wish we talked more craft here too, so keep em coming Solo!

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If he's gonna be that way, Solo's new name will be Kylo Ren.

Draft saved Draft deleted