1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No swearing at BU sporting events

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 13, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I went to a school where the band led up, "Screw B.U., <that night's opponent> too" chants during hockey games, and that was the most mild thing you'd hear during the game. That, despite the fact the ECAC had split in half years before and we never played B.U. or had much reason to care about anything remotely connected to B.U. I still laugh about some of the vulgar and horrible (but incredibly clever) things that used to rain down from the student section during hockey games. I hope this kind of PC bullshit hasn't caught on elsewhere.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu, everytime that I hear that music played, I always think "Screw B.U.".

Having said that, I have no problem with a ban on cursing. You can very witty or cruel without the need to curse.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Just as long as they don't dance.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd curse too if I went to a school where the most popular spectator sport was hockey.

5. KP

KP Active Member

The funniest thing is from the MetroWest article where one of the high school ADs says she has a problem with a chant of "Warm Up the Bus" and another had issue with "Miss it, miss it"
    Those Massachusetts high school ADs worried about the big problems.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Once again a University is trying to be political correct and unreasonable. I don't see how they are going to be able to enforce this on a hole. I am sure it will cause more problems then it will help.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Hey! BU is also known for Jim Jensen and Rick Pitino.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

And Rick left because he was tired of you loooooooosers paying more attention to the hockey team!!! :D

9. indiansnetwork

Hockey is a nice complementary sport but if it is your best sports program you have problems.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So what are you saying - that Harvard and in fact most of the Ivys have problems ?

11. indiansnetwork

For a sporting perspective it is a problem. If hockey is your lead sport than you most likely do not have strong sports programs. And therefore do not make much money from your programs.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That, my friend, depends entirely on where you live.

Hockey is the #1 revenue sport at Minnesota, which last I checked was doing just fine. They draw nearly 10K a game and have sold out every home date since no one knows when. When they go across town to the Xcel and play another in-state school, they sell 15K tickets in a matter of days.

BU just built a beautiful new facility.

And the University of North Dakota plays in a $100 million arena. How many basketball teams can say that?

In other words, you're completely and totally wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted