1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No swearing at BU sporting events

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=140192&format=&page=1

I couldn't find the original story about this. If somebody would, please post it. This was more the local high school ADs talking about it. I agree that sportsmanship and civility are good things, but isn't the fans riding the opponents and the officials a part of the game and as an athlete if you can't take this sort of thing, is it possible that maybe sports aren't for you?
    When do fans (and I'm talking more about high school and college fans, not pros) cross the line? Or is anything OK?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fuck that rule.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

ASSSSSSSSHOOOOOOOOOLE!!! ASSSSSSSSSSHOOOOOOOOOLE!!!

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Saw BU and thought this was about Baylor. Watching them can drive even dyed-in-the-wool Baptists to no only swear, but drink too.

5. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

"We felt that the excessive volume and vociferousness of the
    'dog pound' fans infringed upon the aura of respect
    and consideration that we are endeavoring to encourage
    among our student body," said Dean of Apppropriateness
    Bob (Neal) Johnson. "We are also looking at the sport of hockey
    itself, searching out opportunities for the players to
    bond with each other on the ice -- perhaps between
    periods we could have quiet time or possibly a group
    meditation at one of the faceoff circles. The
    possibilities are endless. Also, we are replacing the
    traditional handshake at the end of each game with a
    group hug, starting immediately with tonight's
    contest."

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Can the potty mouth at BU.

7. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Oh, and here's the original AP story ...

BOSTON -- Boston University has told the "Dog Pound" to clean up its act.

The school has issued a new policy that prohibits swearing by fans at
    sporting events. Racist or sexist chants would also be banned.

The policy is specifically directed at rabid fans of BU's nationally-ranked
    hockey team, the Terriers.

Fans call themselves the Dog Pound and often bark obscenities while taunting
    opposing players and rival fans.

Dean of students Kenneth Elmore told The Boston Globe the school adopted the
    no-swearing policy after numerous complaints about profane language during
    hockey games.

Fans who break the rule could get tossed from the stands.

Dog pound members aren't happy. Kendall Lyons, 18, called it an infringement
    on freedom of speech. And sports, he said, "won't be fun anymore."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

8. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

And here's a link to the Boston Globe story ...

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/articles/2006/09/12/bu_moves_to_clean_up_foul_language_at_games/

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

One of the greatest places in sports used to be Section 8 at Walter Brown. I only had a couple chances to sit there, but the students were so great they made the Cameron Crazies seem like a bunch of passive AARP fans.

This is a sad day for the school I flunked out.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I agree, very sad. Terrier hockey games are a blast.
    As someone who wishes a nuclear weapon would be dropped on Chestnut Hill, they can't do the "Fuck em up, rough em up, BC Sucks" chant enough.

Although my personal favorite of the BU chants is directed at the goalie... ahem.....

"The wheels on your house go round and round, round and round, round and round
    The wheels on your house go round and round, cuz YOU'RE WHITE TRASH"

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Brings me back to my youth -

Loved to go to ECAC hockey tournament at Boston Garden - to me still one of great underappreciated sporting events - that is no longer in its prime. this was era of Craig/ Silk / Erozione

anyhow myself and a few friends decided to move into BU section start chanting BU sucks - did not go over well - minor riot insues - sadly lots of beer spilled.

numerous guards try to pull us out of the garden - 6 pulling me get to exit I decide if I am going out they are going to - so I hang on and we all going saling out door - one that is now locked and guards are now standing there looking sheephish not being able to get back in .

ahh the days of care free youth -

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hockeyfest (ECAC and Hockey East tournaments, after Hockey East's splitoff) on Causeway were something to behold, I've heard.

BU-BC hockey easily is up there with NC-Duke hoops and many of the other great rivalries out there. What makes it great is they play three or four times in the regular season, then they always seem to match up in some holiday tournament, the Beanpot, Hockey East playoffs, NCAAs.

Draft saved Draft deleted