1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No sports editor???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mltru2tx, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We had a huge issue with the meetings two years ago.
    The publisher at the time wanted us to come to editorial meetings, where we basically sat around, said what was going in our sections (we're a chain of weeklies; six editions per week) and rarely anything else.
    Problem was, they weren't paying us overtime. We had a two-man staff, so we found a way to maximize our work output and showing up for a 9:30 a.m. meeting wasn't part of it.
    So we stopped showing up. Publisher told us we had to. We didn't. Publisher got pissed, the required us to go. I didn't show up. We had a meeting and I told her that if we were going to do editors' work, we should be paid as editors.
    So we stopped going to meetings. At some point, we were supposed to e-mail our schedule to our supervisor, but we never did that.
    The funny thing is, they've picked and prodded at us more than any other department and we're the one that runs the best. Our sections look good, we budget hours intelligently and we get the most out of what we have. If you looked at sports compare to news, you'd never think they were the same paper.
    Now that schieza is our supervisor, the micromanaging is gone. When I need to bitch about something, I tell him, he brings it to the editorial meeting - like when we got beat on a story because our competitors' news department told their sports guys about the addition of hockey, something that came up at a school committee meeting; our news people never told us - and it gets solved accordingly.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Amen to this

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It sucks that the hammer fell at Denton.

A sports staff of five (SE, 3 prep writers, UNT writer) at a 15,000-circulation paper is a rarity these days.

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I know of plenty of shops with sports editors with no sports editors, if ya know what I'm sayin' ;D

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Denton has gone long periods before without an SE. They went almost a year without one after Steve Tracy passed away. I think they also went several months without one before Todd was hired. Somebody served as an acting SE in the interim.

The web guy in Denton was a sports editor way, way back in the 1970s and 80s.

Draft saved Draft deleted