1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Snickers in Gay Bars - another example of hysteria

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 7, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Would there be ghettos in the Republic of Zeke? :)

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

None.

But then again, we only plan on having three residents, plus you and HC if you come over for dinner.

Otherwise, BBJ is in charge of keeping the riff-raff out.

3. Yes, and faggot is really a bundle of wood used to start a fire, and coon is a omnivore of the northern forests.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fenian, those words are spoken with a clear intention of their meaning. Who among us will go to a gay man and say, "I found a faggot I can use to get this bonfire going?"

The lines are not as clearly drawn around other words, like articulate, just because someone is offended or just because you want to be Captain PC.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not so fast, my drunken mick friend.

Those words changed usage wholesale.

Ghetto still describes a less than desirable place to live, it just changed ethnic targets.

Which is, to say the least, interesting.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not that this has anything to do with the topic at hand ... but as I recall from Angela's Ashes a cigarette was called a "fag," too. Also, I have a 1929 map of Manhattan -- a piece of art actually with little drawings and descriptions of the different neighborhoods. The lower east side is simply labled "The Ghetto."

7. You are, of course, correct, my inbred hillbilly brother.
    However, to say something is "ghetto" in the United States of America carries a pretty clear meaning.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Usually, yes.

But I've heard it used across racial bounds.

I've seen white kids call poorer white kids "ghetto".

Can it be that -- like all other things American -- here, Ghetto is more about green than black or white?

9. And is it possible that, in calling other poor white kids "ghetto," the poor white kids in question are really calling them "black," and, therefore, establishing a higher place in the pecking order?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's possible, but then again Fenian, when they say ghetto, maybe they actually mean just what they said and not the hidden meaning.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, Alley, if they meant what they said, they were calling them Jews.

Fenian, even if you're right, doesn't that mean that "black" doesn't really mean "black" as much as it means "poor"?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Since we're on the way to eliminating the word 'articulate' from the dictionary, perhaps we should also get rid of the word 'black'. And with it, goes the term 'black-listed' and 'black-balled.'

Draft saved Draft deleted