1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Snickers in Gay Bars - another example of hysteria

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 7, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Homophobia aside, this commercial was so poorly thought up, it instantly made me NOT want to eat Snickers. It has nothing to do with the guys kissing. There was so much negative imagry, though, that you almost forget about the product itself.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I thought it was making fun of 'macho' men and their insecurities...

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The ad would have been better if at the end they shoved snickers bars up each others asses to prove they weren't gay. [tedhaggardfont/]

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Saw some of "Deliverance" on AMC last night, and there's their follow-up commercial. Bring back the cheesy acoustic guitar guy from the previous commercial to strum the banjo this time. And can we get Ned Beatty?

Tagline: Snickers will make you squeal like a pig.

Putting in a call to the Mars Candy maketing department as we speak....

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Need something to stick in that 'purty mouth'?

Grab a Snickers. It satisfies.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

"Snickers satisfies – Not that there's anything wrong with that."

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And Baby Ruth, once a powerhouse among candy bars, sees its status as America's premier scataphallic treat take a turn for the worse.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, that's for certain a moldable attitude the advertisers LOVE.

But I'd expect that 98 percent of beer drinkers drink Bud Light because they like the taste, not the comercials; 98 percent of Toyota owners bought the car because of the way it outperforms others and not a commercial, and 98 percent of people who plop quarters down at the vending machine to get a Snickers do so because they're hungry and like peanuts, caramel and chocolate. Not a damn $2.5 million commercial.

Fenian, we didn't need your remark. We already know you're an oversensitive liberal. If anyone was going to find a problem with it, it would be you. But Zeke? Hell, that comment would have gotten their top political brass all over YOUR ass.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

98 percent of Bud Light drinkers drink Bud Light because they're morons who don't know any better.

Not because of the taste, which is of ass.

Come to think of it, that can be their new ad campaign:

Bud Light: When you want to toss a salad, reach for the beer that tastes like you have.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yawn, your opinion of my post is hardly registering, especially when you opened your moron mouth with the phrase "hate crimes, my ass" in your opening post.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Two guys ripping chest hairs out is hardly what I call hate. In your world, maybe, and that's your problem.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Neal: "Del... Why did you kiss my ear?"
    Del: "Why are you holding my hand?"
    Neal: (frowns) "Where's your other hand?"
    Del: "Between two pillows..."
    Neal: "THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!"
    DEL & NEAL: (jump out of bed)"AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!"
    NEAL: "See that Bears game last week?"
    DEL: "Yeah, hell of a game. Hell of a game."

Draft saved Draft deleted