1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Snickers in Gay Bars - another example of hysteria

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/06/business/main2441402.shtml

No sir, they'll boycott them - bet on it.

Thou shalt not find humor in gay issues!

Hate crimes my ass. Get a life.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

another in a long line of political correctness

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, this one is a bit oversensitive... OK, a lot oversensitive...

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the commercial where the ending was picked online?
    See that's what happens when people vote, bad things happen and people get pissed.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Okay, I've been mulling about it for a while, and I think it's time for me to stop lying to myself.

I, Kaylee, am coming out as someone who totally did not see anything homophobic about that commercial.

Which isn't really any news, except that I'm usually pretty sensitive to homophobia and other acts of Christofacism. But this?

Honestly, I just thought it was another dump, sophomoric Super Bowl commercial.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

db yawn....db

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/37266/

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

So much for the proposed ad campaign about a truck that takes the finished product on the road as it leaves Chocolate Town, bound for the nation's candy stores. They were going to call it "The Hershey Highway." :D

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No Snickers in gay bars? Whatever shall Yawn eat, then?

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

But ... but ... Snickers satisfies!

10. Wait. OK. It's not just the commercial that aired. It's also the online campaign where one of the "alternative endings" is a guy getting beaten up. (That's what got the Matthew Shepard Foundation involved.) It's also the NFL player reactions which range from sixth-grade Boys Room to pure displaced gay panic. I can see where gay folks might find the whole campaign worthy of public comment and action.
    And being told to "get a life" by someone who finds it icky that you might want to, you know, get married is pretty damned hilarious.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

since kaylee is coming out, maybe he can offer up his snickers to yawn.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I still think it's an overreaction. My first impression wasn't "it's two guys who think gay sex is teh gross", it was "it's two friends who don't think of each other that way." Hell, who's to say they couldn't have both been gay, but attached to other dudes?

And it was done so over the top that I'd think the message would veer to "ha ha look at those dumbasses overreact" as opposed to "hey, those snickers freaks have a point, we should beat us up some fagolas!"

Draft saved Draft deleted