1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No smoking in cars carrying children: Big Brother or good idea

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just like the evidence supporting global warming, that's junk science.
    But creationism should be taught in public schools.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I grew up in a smoke-filled station wagon. One teacher asked me if I'd been smoking after my mother brought me back to school from the orthodontist.

When I later inherited that car, I could pound the front seat and wafted-up smoke would fill the car.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

That's revolting.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see old_tony's point, but here is the difference. Children in a car with a parent smoking can't protect themselves. They can't just not get in. They can't make mommy or daddy care enough to put the damn thing out in their presence.

It's not that hard. My brother smokes. Has since he was 12. But he has never once smoked a cigarette in a car when there was a child inside. EVER. He has always gone outside to smoke, away from his children.

I understand the concern over personal freedoms. But when a law is put in place to protect children from careless adults, I have no problem with it. We already have laws regarding the use of cell phones in cars and the use of seatbelts, not to mention proper booster seats for children. I don't see how this would be any different.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm vexed by this.

I grew up in a smoke-filled car too, though apparently, our car was child's play compared to LJB's.

Second-hand smoke is no joke, I have no doubt some of the (minor) allergy and respiratory issues I have from time-to-time were exacerbated by being around smoke. Riding-in-the-car smoke is the worst of all.

I also get the civil liberties argument too. Legislating private actions? When it comes to adults, I agree that any laws that govern victimless behavior between consenting adults are wrong. Especially in their own homes.

But when it comes to kids? I'm not so sure. If you take the non-interference argument to one conclusion, why not let your kids throw back a few beers too?

But wait! Children drinking beer is illegal! Why? Part of it is we've decided as a society that alcohol is unhealthy for children, and it is. We know exposure to second-hand smoke is unhealthy, so I can totally understand the driving force behind the law.

Smoking isn't illegal, nor should it be, but it's not a right either. To me, the right for a child to not breathe smoky air while in the car trumps the right for an adult to smoke because of the health issue.

I know, I know, the logical next step is banning it in the home. That's why I'm vexed, but on its own face, I really don't have a problem with it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe we should just forcibly sterilize all smokers so they can't reproduce.

And while we're at it, lets make it illegal for adults to drink alcohol in front of their children. We don't want the little darlings getting the idea that drinking is ok.

7. This law is actually better than the one telling me I can't allow smoking in my own bar. At least this one is protecting the innocent.

A bar full of people imbibing alcohol? Not so much.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree that the law protecting children is better, though I'm all for the lawas against smoking in bars, too.

9. Armchair_QB

Except the law doesn't protect children. It doesn't stop dumbass parents from smoking when their kids are in the house with them.

This isn't about protecting kids. It's another way to tax drivers by fining them for doing something that isn't illegal.

I don't smoke and cigarette smoke annoys the hell out of me but this "law" is fucking horseshit of the highest order.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hear you A_QB, but having grown up in a house where my dad smoked, you can get away from it there. You can go in another room, etc.

You can't in a car.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Hell, smokers in the Midwest drive with windows down and heat on in subzero weather to pollute my environment with, as you say, their ongoing suicide attempts.

Even still, the civil libertarian in me cringes at a law along these lines.

12. Armchair_QB

Roll down the window.

And when an elected official tells you "it's about the children" he is lying thru his fucking teeth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.