1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No smoking in cars carrying children: Big Brother or good idea

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flash

Flash Guest

My province of birth leaps ahead of the 'no smoking' brigade.

I'm a former smoker and I believe tobacco needs to be eradicated from the planet. But I can't help but feel a little uncomfortable about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/03/21/smoking-ban.html?ref=rss

As of April 1, Nova Scotia will become the first province in Canada making it illegal to smoke in motor vehicles with anyone under 19 inside.

The amendment was passed by the legislature on Thursday.

"This legislation is another important step in protecting the health of all Nova Scotians," Barry Barnet, minister of health promotion and protection, said in a news release on Thursday.

"Children and young people are susceptible to the effects of second-hand smoke, especially in an enclosed space such as a car."

Barnet said the amendment reinforces what the majority of Nova Scotians are already doing.

"For others, we hope it will serve as an opportunity to learn about the health risks associated with second-hand smoke," he said.

In November, the town of Wolfville, N.S., became the first district in the province to pass a municipal bylaw banning the practice.

Move also underway in other provinces

Other provinces have also indicated plans to ban smoking in cars with children passengers.

The British Columbia government promised a ban in its recent throne speech and New Brunswick and Manitoba are both considering one.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said in early March that his government would also be introducing legislation this spring to prohibit the practice.

Doctors say the risks to children from exposure to second-hand smoke include respiratory illnesses, middle ear disease, lower respiratory tract infections and sudden infant death syndrome. They say exposure can also lead to increased incidences of cancer and heart disease in adulthood.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's not right. However I personally wish all smokers, ahem Dr. J, would keep their cancer sticks away from me.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Fuck smoking. That is all.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fuck any government telling me I can't smoke in my own car, my private property.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

See? That's the problem. Smoking is disgusting, makes people smell, is pretty much the epitome of selfishness and places a tremendous strain on the health-care system.

But is this what our society intended with government? To legislate our actions within the privacy of our own property? Until they deem tobacco an illegal substance, the government needs to butt out.

Sorry about the pun.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If we're going to go that far to protect children, maybe we should just start testing potential parents for suitability...

And btw, I think smoking in the car with children is disgusting and irresponsible...

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

That's fine as long as your keep your windows rolled up so the rest of us don't have to smell your ongoing suicide attempt.

(FACT: Smokers will roll their windows down in a rainstorm to let the clouds of smoke out of their vehicles because it blocks their vision. Seen it frequently.)

8. JR

JR Active Member

Wolfville is also the town where the university does not allow smoking ANYWHERE on its property. And by anywhere, not even if you're sitting in your car in a school parking lot.

Governments legislate rules about legal substances all the time. You can't drive your car while swigging from a bottle of scotch.

9. gretchd

gretchd Member

But isn't there a difference, JR, between scotch, which impairs your ability to drive, and a cigarette?

I agree that smoking shouldn't be done with children in the car. It's irresponsible. But I don't know that it should be the government's responsibility to stop it.

On the other hand, this can be viewed as the government protecting the rights of certain citizens, not at the expense of other, but certainly at the limitations of others.

Ugh, my whole life is a series of very grey "on the other hand" assessments.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Big Brother or good idea? Actually, it's both.

The problem is, if we make every good idea a law, then we're completely fucked.

It's a good idea to go to bed early and get up early. Make it a law?

It's a good idea to eat sensible and exercise. Make it a law?

It's a good idea to keep your house clean. Make it a law?

It's a good idea to bring your wife/girlfriend flowers. Make it a law?

It's a good idea to get an education by going to college so you can get a good job. Make it a law?

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ... well, you get the idea.

11. JR

JR Active Member

Well, it is the same. They're both public health issues.

It's already established that second hand smoke is a health danger.

University of Waterloo researchers found that levels of second-hand smoke in vehicles with the windows up exceeded U.S. Environmental Protection Agency guidelines by up to 100 times in just 20 minutes of burning a cigarette. When drivers lowered windows halfway, the plume still surpassed EPA limits for 24-hour fine-particle exposure by six times.

The principal researchers, Taryn Sendzik and Geoffrey Fong, were astounded by their own findings, contained in a report by the provincial Ministry of Health's Ontario Tobacco Research Unit.

"We had to make sure the machines weren't broken," said Dr. Fong, a University of Waterloo psychology professor and principal investigator for the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research. "We eventually had to switch machines because the ones we use to monitor smoky bars couldn't actually record levels this high."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080320.wsmoking20/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's how I feel about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.