1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No small talk -- big deal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 3, 2006.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i didn't mean those who can't become sports editors. the best sports eds were once decent writers/reporters. in my vast experience, those most valuable and under-appreciated sports copy editors, though, haven't worked in the field because they're most comfy with their computers and don't necessarily have the right personality to do the shmoozing required to be an effective sportswriter. just this man's experience.8) 8) 8)
    fyi, above is what my what my clarifying post said. :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, but if you are naturally shy, withdrawn and uncomfortable conversing with people you really don't know, you're probably not going very far in a business where it's important to elicit comment and information from people.

You can be yourself, but you really ought to work at developing a skill that's fundamental to your profession.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no. 1, i don't wear a suit muchless a tie. no. 2, i responded to your original post, not what you wrote after.

Draft saved Draft deleted