1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No small talk -- big deal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Aug 3, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm somewhat shy so when i was in the business i tried to convince myself that these sources were just normal human beings. that helped a little, even though the millionaire professional athletes were actually nothing like me in many ways because they are among the richest 2 percent of all americans.

so bullshiting about the weather if you're both walking from the practice facility to the field is a normal thing to do. ask the guy about his new car even if you don't give a shit about cars and he'll open up a little. if you overhear some players talking about last night's survivor episode, it's fine to tell one of those guys you see one on one what you thought of the episode.

it all has to be natural, though. you don't necessarily interject yourself in a conversation with five players but just like if you see five colleagues in the office having a conversation and you bump into one of them later, you might chip in your two cents. same with a discussion about cars. you saw carl cornerback get out of a new porsche? when the situation arises later, make chit chat about the car.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't have a huge issue making small talk with the athletes and coaches I cover, but I find that I have somewhat of an issue going from shooting the shit into the actual interview. I always feel the like the transition is awkward -- I'll be talking about whatever with the player, and then I always seem to quickly change the tone when it comes time to ask the questions I planned on asking for my story. Any tips on how to handle the shooting the shit/ actual interview transition?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always just wait for a pause in the conversation, then say something like "Well, you ready to do this?" or "OK, time for the interview portion of our day" as I flip open the notebook. Kind of a joke, it keeps things light and lets them know that everything from then on is actually on the record.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Some good advice on this thread, but Nick, don't feel too bad about not being a big bullshitter. I've worked with people who do that, spend the overwhelming majority of their time with coaches yapping about non-sequential stuff. Now, maybe this is the way to do it, but I refuse. Don't feel like you need to waste your subject's time with chit-chat. Just have casual conversations when there's time, but if you're specifically trying to do that, it's never going to work.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

this tact has gotten you far, i take it? 8) 8) 8) :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I do just fine, thanks, and I sleep well in the knowledge that coaches aren't pained to see me coming toward them.

7. slipshod

slipshod Member

I come from a long line of bullshitters, so I don't hesitate to talk about matters big and small. One goal is to let these people know I am a human being, not some scum to be looked down upon, also that I am reasonably intelligent and fair. I must say that after more than 30 years of this, the results have been decidedly mixed. But I am who I am, quoting Popeye, and human interraction can be a good thing. None of us get out of this alive.

8. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I wouldn't get the stuff I do if it weren't for said "small talk." So, yes, I'm a big believer in it.

Think of it this way: the more normal/relaxed you sound and interact with the people you're covering, the more relaxed they will be with you.

Is it normal for someone to feel at ease when the only times you speak to them you're asking, "Was there a reason why you didn't call a timeout with 10 seconds left in the game?" My experience is no.

But if they know who you are over the long haul, i.e., through natural conversation, those questions receive lucid, articulate responses.

I also like the BTW question. When I'm done with an interview, I'll ask "by the way, are you getting and transfers this month?" or "by the way, how is so-and-so recovering from surgery?" Nine times out of 10, I get something.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

100 percent correct. 8) 8) 8)

10. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Not entirely true. The best editors are better at this than their reporters. Being a good editor is ALL about communicating.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah. but most suck at it.

and i didn't mean those who can't become sports editors. the best sports eds were once decent writers/reporters. in my vast experience, those most valuable and under-appreciated sports copy editors, though, haven't worked in the field because they're most comfy with their computers and don't necessarily have the right personality to do the shmoozing required to be an effective sportswriter. just this man's experience.8) 8) 8)

12. Couldn't have said it better myself...

At my joint, our top football guy could sell ice to an eskimo...and he's constantly breaking news. You have to know how to communicate. Hence the reason we enter the communication field. Not saying you have to be a used car salesman, but you gotta know how to bullshit with guys occasionally. Hang around the coaches office and just chat them up. Put the notebook away. Talk up the trainer. Talk up the secretary. You'll earn trust and break better stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted