1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No S***, Sherlock! Next six years tough for papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, May 29, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Newspapers are no longer run by people who know the value of news or give a rat's ass about serving their communities.

Editors used to spend time figuring out how to get great stories in their papers.

Now they count paper clips, go to meetings and launch meaningless initiatives that everyone knows will be replaced by new, even more pointless initatives in six months.

The Internet would have been tough on newspapers anyway; the lack of newspeople at newspapers has accelerated the process.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Fixed. And that's just one of the very scary trends as these puddin' heads step into the new media world, thinking their first frantic draft of answers are the real answers.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

"thinking their first frantic draft of answers are the real answers," expresses my fears about the whole internet thing as our paper moves forward with it. Right now, we've got people running amuck with video cameras and wanting to order all kinds of technology and doing this and doing that.

To me, as a paper that has largely sat on the sidelines while the rest of the industry jumped in with two feet, we have a chance to really look around and see what's working and what's not. We have a chance to be very methodical and learn from the trial and error that has already happened in the industry. I'm afraid, though, that cooler heads won't prevail and we'll just dive in all willy nilly with random video, counting pages without knowing what the numbers mean, etc., etc.

We have a chance to be like Tim Duncan. Our lack of growing up with the game can keep us from picking up the bad habits that most players pick up. We can be the "big fundamental," ha.

4. lono

lono Active Member

If you don't wind up being Kwame Brown first.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

We're already there, brother. Believe me, our Website is the Kwame Brown of newspaper Websites...

We're just trying to figure out a way to trade Kwame for Timmy...

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'm finding myself becoming increasingly more worried about this situation. As a recent college graduate, I don't know if I stand a chance in this business if the industry is just going under slowly but surely.

...And I could just be overreacting. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted