1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No rosters at a high school football game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 9, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Last year I had to cover a football semifinal at a place with no press box and no rosters, luckily I had the local team's, but I had to scramble to grab the other and let about 4 other papers either copy or have their photogs shoot a picture of it.

The association couldn't believe that people were upset that there were no rosters.

2. Keystone

Keystone Member

Was at a Class A school Friday night. In my $3 program, not only did I get player bios and stats, there was a team history, all-time results and coaching records. In fact if the school was an NCAA program, it would be cited for having its media guide too big.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I'm absolutely shocked nobody has mentioned Maxpreps.com yet. Or is that just a California thing? I thought they were across the country.

Nine out of 10 times, the roster for any sport at any high school is on the site, because over the last few years coaches have realized it's the easiest and most effective way to post statistics for parents or anyone else to see. The coach updates it or has somebody do it.

I'm not saying I would ever trust the statistics to be accurate, but having statistics requires uploading rosters, too. It's the handiest Web site I've ever heard of for people who cover preps.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maxpreps is a fantastic concept. Now they have to follow through and WORK to get all the rosters (if not the stats) up there.

Last season, we could find maybe 60 percent of our area rosters on the Web site. That must get better, although 60 percent is certainly better than 0 percent.

BTW ... it covers football, boys' basketball and girls' basketball, I believe. Nothing else.

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Depends on the school. I've used it for all those sports as well as baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball. Many schools have every sport up there.

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

You answered your own question ... rely on no one else but yourself. Get rosters in advance, then double-check them if a roster is provided for you at the game.

But I really don't care. My days of writing and editing prep copy are, in the words of Ernie Harwell, "Loooooong gone."

Amen.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You should never have to pay for programs either. Fuck that shit. Take it from the seller's hands if need be. They will not chase you down. Trust me.

I've never had a problem finding a roster at a game. If it isn't in the program or there is no program, somebody has it. It only takes a few minutes to write names and numbers down.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

What's really fun is when you have a roster and they've changed some of the numbers or some are not on there.

And of course you don't realize this until the game has ended and you are on the computer at deadline.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've been known to take a picture of the PA guy's roster before and read it right off the camera screen. It sure beats copying down 50 names, 45 of which you won't use.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Maxpreps also has a stringer-type photog network -- you take 'em, they sell 'em -- but I've heard the pay is lousy, and the site's photo people are quite difficult.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I had this happen several times. That's when I get on the phone calling the head coach and work my way down the assistant coaches until I find someone at home. I've woken up a few wives, but that's too bad for them.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I've covered HS football games before with no rosters. It's a rarity in Texas, but it does happen. 999 times out of 1000 there will be a program of some sort around in Texas, even at the six man private schools.
    But in recent instances where I don't find one and the announcer has one, I have no qualms about copying his. But better I use my camera phone. Never thought this would work until I shot a piece of paper, emailed it to myself. Opened the photo on my laptop and every name was crystal clear.
    I also shot the back of a guys baseball shirt during the baseball playoffs last year. Full roster available, matched what the PA guy called. Not usually needed in baseball cuz the game moves so slow and almost every name is called, but good way to verify spellings.

Draft saved Draft deleted