1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Roethlisberger stories on ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I would imagine ESPN would counter your argument by saying that a criminal case came first, so that's why they reported on the civil suit.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One fact that I've not seen anywhere is that ESPN shared the broadcast rights with NBC for the tournamnent.

Certainly another possible reason for not pushing the story.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Oh, really. So the days when ESPN reporters got what was already in AP, and they would run a crawler saying, "Chris Mortensen has learned," are over?
    Since when have they been shy about taking credit for someone else's work?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Roberto Alomar. No criminal case. Only civil. They reported it.
    Case closed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Cowherd loves his salary and is a boring clown who knows he hit the lottery with ESPN and will never have it so good again.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Even if this is an extortion attempt, it's still news. How ridiculous. If the suit is dismissed, does ESPN report it.

This comes from the place that showed Pacman Jones' stripper video (no redeeming news value).

All it showed was Pacman giving thousands of dollars to strippers (a ridiculous video, how could this be any fun?). It was titillating. But, its Pacman, not Big Ben.

7. JackReacher

I agree, but Bat was talking about the OJ case, not the Alomar case. My comment also dealt with OJ, not Alomar.

You're right, though. Definite double standard. You just can't use the OJ case to illustrate it.

I realize this post was unnecessary, but I'm bored.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Boom_70

John Walsh on with Francesa claiming that reason they did not run story was one of caution- used Duke lax case,

Confirmed that ESPN told affiliate talk show hosts not to discuss the case.

What a joke. Talk about trying to control the news.

9. JackReacher

He must have been making the rounds today. Was on the Dan Patrick show, too.

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I can't believe they expect anybody to believe this explanation. It's obvious they don't like that this happened to Ben Roethlisberger. If this happens to Santonio Holmes, or Jay Cutler, for that matter, they're all over it.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Does Pittsburgh being one of only five ESPN owned-and-operated radio stations have anything to do with this?

If ESPN was looking at expanding its online local presence here like they're doing with the other four areas (discussed on another thread), it stands to reason why they don't want to rock the boat.

12. Boom_70

Whatever they are paying, if you consider yourself a credible journalist it would be hard to work for ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted