1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Roethlisberger stories on ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 21, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I just passed a TV with no sound and Ravitch talking with a photo of Ben on the screen. Couldn't find the remote. Is the WWL covering this now?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Another coverage note:

The print edition of the New York Times I saw yesterday had Roethlisberger as the lead item in Sports Briefing.

4. JackReacher

I don't get the times in print....sounds like it was buried, correct?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

lead brief, bottom of second or third page

6. JackReacher

Not surprising. Not sure how many papers should give it front page coverage. Obviously, the Pittsburgh papers and maybe the papers within a 100 mile radius.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

a lot of guys on the Roethlisberger coverage thread seem to think it was front page National news.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

ESPN's latest lame explanation:

ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer sent PFT a statement Wednesday night detailing the network's position.

"Based on the sensitive nature of the story and other factors we mentioned, we initially exercised caution and did not report it," the statement reads.

"Since then, we've been observing how the story has progressed, monitoring other news outlets, and doing our own reporting. We decided to report the story tonight."

First of all, "our own reporting," has consisted of posting the AP story on the web site, and the TV guys simply paraphrasing that. They've done zilch of their own reporting.

Second, I'm sure Mike Tyson, Kobe Bryant, Pac Man Jones and Roberto Alomar had wishes EPSN exercised the same kind of caution.

Between this and Erin Andrews, is this the worst week in ESPN history?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You have absolutely no knowledge of this. Whenever you report (if you do), do you use every bit of what you get? Maybe what ESPN reporters got was covered in the AP story? Or maybe they're working on longer-term stories?

You know NOTHING about any reporting that's been done.

(Full disclosure: neither do I. Just saying that to say because no byline is on the site means no one's working on this is a joke.)

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Cowherd went off on this today and said it wasn't different treatments for different people and wasn't racist because it was a civil suit. And he cited examples of civil suits against black athletes they didn't report.

I'll never agree. I understand the thinking, actually, but once this story came out and was out there on dozens of outlets, the "world wide leader" had to report it, even it just underplayed it.

11. JackReacher

I agree to a point, but if they did do their own reporting and got the same stuff AP had, why wouldn't they use their own byline?

I'm sure they've done their own work, but to say "we decided to report the story..." then they should use your own byline. Show your work.

Not a huge deal either way. Just seems weird to say all that and then use AP copy, that's all.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I seem to remember a certain civil suit against one Orenthal Simpson getting breathless Mouse coverage.

Cowherd's shit is weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted