1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Roethlisberger stories on ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Well...I'll just agree to disagree. That just seems silly given the circumstances. It's not like someone accused him of hit-and-run. This is rape.

And now Goodell says he's looking into it. All the more reason to report it.

ESPN looks pretty damn bad right now. As if it needed any help...but still....

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ESPN gave more coverage to Michael Jackson's passing.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Two-time Super Bowl winning QB gets charged with sexual assault with a paper trail established and worthy of a response from him and his attorney----sure does belong on sports front outside Pittsburgh.

Does Roethlisberger have some sort of deal with ESPN that would keep them from being forthright in reporting the story? All these ads they do with sports figures in their offices certainly raises plenty of suspicions about their objectivity.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah. One of the offenses often kills somebody. Psst. it ain't the latter one.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Might have been a bad comparison. I was thinking of the minor traffic accident, one that I've been a part of. Not the kind that results in murder.

My bad.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Considering the fact that this is the quarterback of the current Super Bowl champions, not to mention the fact that he's a two-time Super Bowl champion, it belongs on the sports cover anywhere in this country that at least attempts to have national scope.

It doesn't have to be above the fold, but it is indeed a story.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

We don't name victims either.

And good question about Kobe. I'm not sure what we did there. It'd be funny if we did anything but name him. But I can't remember.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We put it in our national roundup last night...We went bigger with the Tour, Tom Watson and baseball then Big Ben. Then again, our national news lacks "umph" anyway. Youth camps and college summer baseball leagues trump that "garbage" anyway. (note sarcasm)

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

I think the fact he's going to appear on ABC's Shaq reality show, at the very least, creates a perception of conflict of interest

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Despite that, ABC News saw fit to run the story.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8133620

11. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I wonder why they changed course.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4349253

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And that sure supports my point. We should not be so easily used.

Draft saved Draft deleted