1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Roethlisberger stories on ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 21, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, should this story be on the sports cover anywhere but Pittsburgh?

2. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

What sports story is bigger today? I'm not about sensationalizing this at all, but it's a slow sports day and this is pretty big news for papers in the region and beyond.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Maybe a low spot ... small story in the corner or across the bottom. The Steelers are one of a handful of teams that transcends localities. They're probably the most popular team in my area and we're a good six hours south of Pittsburgh stuck between Washington and Charlotte.

If this is Alex Smith, it's a blurb. I think the level of celebrity Roethlisberger has raises the profile a bit.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

ESPN sticking to its policy is pretty ridiculous.

My last paper refused to identify the suspects in the Duke lacrosse case because of our policy that we don't identify sex crime suspects unless they're guilty. Good policy, but the three Duke kids were on 60 Minutes begging for their story to be told and quite all right with their name being out there.

In fact, we ran a story about the 60 Minutes interview--but we had to take out their names.

It was sticking to a policy and ignoring common sense--exactly what ESPN is doing here.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Interesting, though, that on ESPN's Web site, the network has a portion on the lower right-hand corner labeled "ABC News Headlines" and the link to the story is there.

I find that kind of ironic.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

And, of course, I went back to find it and it's not there now.

WTF?

7. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Except, it doesn't really seem to be ESPN's policy not to report on civil suits...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3046010

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4219580

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3199471

Or maybe it's a "new" policy to protect their interests.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

But there is room and, apparently, interest in a former Zendejas kicker suing for damages from his rape acquittal.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Total, utter bullshit that ESPN's not doing anything with this.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

You keep thinking that ESPN is about journalism.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

No coverage from the NFL's biggest business partner? ::shock::

I'm sure Ohlmeyer's on the case.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Who is Roethlisberger's agent?

Draft saved Draft deleted