1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No respect for the dead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jan 6, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I applaud Scott's sense of honesty. I question his sense of timing. I'm pretty certain he'll get a call from the Commissioner's office.

In the final analysis, I'd personally rather see something like that which Scott wrote than the ridiculous white-washing of scumbaggery that usually takes place place upon the death of a powerful person.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hitler was pretty bad, but he was no Bob Jelenic.

3. Girlinthehood

Girlinthehood Member

Ace, I have to tell you, many of your posts make me laugh out loud. Just thought you should know. :)

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Asking where can the commish get hooked up with a new suit now that Pohlad has yacked?

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

They recommended you to work at the Plain-Dealer. So you take it out on them.

6. From my first editor.

"You know what you get when a prick dies?
    "A dead prick."
    Words to live by.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Or die by, in some cases.

8. I think we might have worked for the same guy, FB.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's the impression he leaves us with, true, but technically he rips Pohlad for being a manipulative and cold businessman. The lone insight into what he was like as a human being is that people who worked for him say they were treated well.

He foreclosed on people. What banker doesn't? He threatened to move his team. How many team owners don't? Was it Pohlad's decision to run the TV spot of the dead kid, or did someone down the food chain come up with that?

The tone seemed a bit shrill considering the actual content. No insights into what made the guy tick, and if you're gonna rip a dead guy in print, I'd consider that to be an essential.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My main beef with knocking dead people is that they don't have a chance to defend themselves. It's a chickenshit thing to do. If Pohlad was bad, he didn't just start being bad after he was dead.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that he didn't mention the rumors, or maybe it is written somewhere, where earlier this decade Pohlad was upset that the Twins won in the divisional round because it would cost him more money.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought it lacked class because Scotty-boy doesn't have any personal experiences or any he shared anyway about Pohlad.

Maybe Scotty-boy should bring a family Pohlad foreclosed on to the funeral. Now that would be a good column.

Draft saved Draft deleted