1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No raises at McClatchy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 14, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It's still a buyer's market. It's just that the buyees are being ultra-conservative about the purchase.
    You can't deny that newspapers have set themselves the ultimate competition for their jobs. When kids coming out of school are taking jobs for $20k a year and no benefits, and that doesn't look so bad, yeah, I'd say they are getting what they want.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

I was at a McClatchy paper before I escaped the business last month. Last year, we were pretty much told the most of a raise they could give us was about two percent while management got a hefty bonus for meeting some sort of goal.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The goal was to not give you guys raises.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not to mention increased employee assessments for health care, etc etc. along with boosted co-pays.

5. Success!

6. Giggity

Giggity Member

That much isn't true - I'm friends with a raise-giver at McClatchy paper. They've received them up until now, and he says he's been under no pressure to keep raises down via lower reviews.

Still and all, fuck 'em.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Has he gotten a raise or has he just given them out?

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Used to love/respect McClatchy but happier every day that I lucked out. I feel for all most of my former co-workers, though, as well as other McC brethren.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Posted for someone:

At least one Lee paper is doing something different for raises this year, too: $1,000 raises for everybody, regardless of what you make.

I believe there used to be a company-wide pool for raises that was to be distributed (mostly) on merit. It was up to the discretion of individual managers, so some people were known to get up to 8-9 percent increases depending on performance. (Slackers got COL increases, if that.)

This year, it's $1K for everyone -- no exceptions. Comes out to about $5-10 a paycheck, for most. Better than nothing, I guess. Better than more layoffs, too. But still a decline from better days.

10. What's especially galling about the McClatchy situation is how corporate management refuses to take any blame for their ill-advised purchase of the Knight Ridder chain. Every press release and employee memo hammers away at the economy, housing market, auto sales, classified falloff, etc. But noticeably absent in any of the finger-pointing is that corporate severely exacerbated the problem by trying to capture Knight Ridder whole, like a boa constrictor swallowing an elephant.

Reread yesterday's announcement. There's no mention of the debt payment due at the end of the quarter. That's why people are bailing on McC in droves, taking droves outside the industry they never would have considered 1-2 years ago.

But then if the suits admitted they made a huge mistake, they might lose their jobs. We can't have that, can we?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

WFW.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

call me an idiot, but what's WFW mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted