1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No pro sports on President's Day?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tomorrow (Monday) is a rare day in sports, usually one reserved for the days before and after the MLB All-Star Game. There will be no major professional games played on Monday.

Football and baseball are obviously out of season; the NBA is ending its All-Star break; and the NHL is starting its Olympic hockey break.

Tomorrow is also a holiday: President's Day. It doesn't seem right that no pro sports will be played on a federal holiday. Even on Christmas Day we have the mandatory Lakers gameat a minimum, with NFL games if the calendar falls right, and at least one college bowl game. MLK Day has a ton of NBA matinees.

Is anyone cool with no sports on a holiday? Can we use a break from it? Or was it poor planning by the NBA to schedule an off-day here? (It's probably happened before; no idea.)

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me one bit. I'd much rather watch the Olympics or college basketball than the NBA anyway.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Means I can get the agate page done early. :)

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Christmas Eve is also typically without games from the four major sports, unless it's on a Sunday with the NFL.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

WIN!

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Doesn't bother me at all. Nice to have a break every now and then.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

You mean as opposed to all of the great sports events we had today?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because of President's Day, there will be very few HS and college sports events played also.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Makes the men's downhill delay a godsend for front page art.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not here. No school means basketball all day. Nationally, I'm OK with UConn-Villanova and especially KU-Texas A&M to get me through the day.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Definitely not the case here. We have two girls' basketball playoff games, one girls' soccer district game, two softball games, a golf tournament, and the NCAA D2 softball team at a tourney. Extremely busy locally.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Abe Lincoln was born, and then died, so you could focus on high school sports for a day.

Draft saved Draft deleted