1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Out-of-Town Photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This is what our place has become. A sports event has to be in the town of the two major high schools we cover in order to get shot. Keep in mind the only time we do out-of-town photos is during the playoffs.

So the boys soccer team is playing 20 minutes down the highway at a neutral site for a playoff game. No go. Think of the mileage — a whopping 13 dollars — and the hours — a whopping hour and a half on the clock.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's really bad. Not saying it to jinx you, Della, but if that's the way you're going to put out a paper, why bother?

3. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Della, I went through that back at my first paper almost 15 years ago. We were adjacent to one of the largest counties in the country and our three high schools basically played all their games in the neighboring county except when they played each other. We were told no coverage outside of our county and when we broached the same type of question you broached about what if our team is playing Team X just 15-20 minutes down the road, we were given the same answer. Just take the result via phone.

That went over real well with our readership when one of our schools pulled off the upset of all time and we weren't there. After our phone system nearly crashed the next day, the policy was amended, with my new title for those games being changed to reporter/photographer. :-X

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Does this mean you can't run submitted photos from the U-9 Superduper Stars travel soccer team when they finish seventh in the Olive Division of the Chestnut County Spring Jubilee? CAN it mean you can't run them?

Draft saved Draft deleted