1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No no ... a-no no ... no no ... a-no no ... no no ... a-no no ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sheesh ... who DIDN'T he session would make for an easier answer.

The departing members of Genesis had no beef with him as proven by his work on Steve Hackett's "Star Of Sirius" on his solo debut album and Peter Gabriel on "Family Snapshot." He took just about every offer on the table, then worked with Genesis and an underrated jazz fusion group named Brand X.

It helped explain why he and Philip Bailey did "Easy Lover." Then again, his brass/sax section was basically the EWF Horns. It's why Sting and Peter Gabriel did stuff for his solo works.

And while I liked the video for "I Wish It Would Rain Down," the track itself was superb. With all due respect to Daryl Stuermer, getting Eric Clapton to play lead guitar is always a coup.

Very nice grab on "Don't Lose My Number," BYH. The humor was of gut-busting quality, helped in no small part by PC's ability to laugh at himself.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As a youngin', one of the very first music albums I bought (or received, I think) was Phil's "Both Sides of the Story." I have fond memories of that album. I realize many people don't necessarily like his ballady stuff, but I've enjoyed much of his music, almost as much as Genesis.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good get, Starman. First thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

As for Phil Collins, was never a fan of hm as a solo guy (I do think he's a tremendous drummer) but "Take Me Home" is a terrific song and a cool video - "You've been down the pub again haven't you?".

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The score for "Tarzan" amply illustrated that it's time to go . . .

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Phil won't be stepping into the suh-suh-studio any more.

6. From the thread title, I thought the Human Beinz had broken up.
    (\demonstrates age)

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There must be some misunderstanding about this story that Phil Collins is retiring. There must be some kind of mistake. It's not like Phil to say the right thing
    but Phil could've called to let me know. Perhaps he checked SportsJournalists.com's Web site address twice, didn't understand it and he went home.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's quality fucking stuff, that.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He not only did "Family Snapshot," he was the one who helped Gabriel figure out how to do the cymbal-free sound to all his songs on that album. Collins drummed on Brian Eno's "Another Green World" and "Before and After Science." Collins was (and is) an amazing drummer, and would have been known as one of the better, hipper drummers in rock history had he not become a soft-rock, squishy, grating balladmeister.

10. Sam Mills 51

Very true, Bob. It doesn't mean I can't remember him as one of the best rock drummers. As you pointed out, he was also innovative in working with mic setups and such for percussion, helped at least in some small part when Hugh Padgham came on board to help produce his solo albums and with Genesis starting with "Abacab."

----

It's funny how some of the lyrical cracks have been Phil Collins solo, and some have been Genesis. At least "Misunderstanding" was written primarily by Collins ('sup, Claws?).

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is my favorite line of the thread thus far. Fantastic.

12. Sam Mills 51

*chucking tomatoes*

Draft saved Draft deleted