1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No no ... a-no no ... no no ... a-no no ... no no ... a-no no ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good thing I was able to make the Genesis reunion concert last year.

Phil has been going pretty steady for 35 years, and that was after a fairly successful career as a child actor.

Most will remember his solo career and his ballads, perhaps the famous drum fill to "In The Air Tonight" as well (and that was about a mugging, not a good atmospheric piece for sports arenas). To me, he'll always be the percussionist for that decent group of which he was a key cog. His first four solo albums were outstanding as was a handful of tracks from some films.

Thought over. Back to the title and lyric snarks ...

2. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Always liked Phil Collins, and got to respect that he would rather fade away than have his pipes rust or whatever. I wish the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones had been so prescient.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I meant the deck on the actual story on the link. The one about a drumming gorilla.

4. Sam Mills 51

Both he and Mike Rutherford wanted to avoid becoming self-parodies and have said so. Somehow, I don't see Tony Banks wanting to go that route, either.

Phil's pipes had suffered some wear, which I suspect was the primary the keys were altered on some of the tracks they played in the group's concert sets.

5. Sam Mills 51

IJAG, it's about a Cadbury Dairy Milk ad which has a gorilla behind the drum kit during PC's "In The Air Tonight."

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Phil could do no wrong from like 1982-1990. And he had to be one of the busiest guys in the biz, between his work with Genesis, his solo stuff and his session work.

Sam, I know he played on that hit song by Freda (the woman from ABBA). Who else did he session for?

"Don't Lose My Number" and "I Wish It Would Rain Down" are two of the best videos of the era.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I thought he was going to make it ... against all odds.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You know, your need to quote yourself to make yourself feel better is one of the five most annoying things about this board.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nobody can do the Shingaling, like he do?
    Nobody can do the shake?
    Nobody can do the Boogaloo, like he do??

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Methinks I know one of the other four.

Oops, you're not 21. Never mind.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Him coming back to us is against all odds, and that's what we'll have to face.

Draft saved Draft deleted