1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No No. 4 in Super Bowl 44: The Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In honor of the Saints making the Super Bowl, I have brought back my original avatar.

This is a big day for my family, in which practically everyone is a Saints fan. My mother, who lives in New Orleans, was diagnosed with lung cancer two years ago, but she got to see the Saints earn a trip to the Super Bowl. But there's two other people I wish were alive to see this: Buddy Diliberto and my grandfather. Buddy (the inspiration for my username, incidentally), to hear what he would have to say, my grandfather because I know how much it would mean to him.

My grandfather was born in 1925 and fought in World War II. He was a union electrician and was one of those guys who was outside from dawn to dusk whether it was a work day or not. The only exception he made was the three hours on fall Sundays when the Saints were on TV. He swore he was going to give up on them several times, but never did.

I lived 200 miles away at the time, but I promised him when the Saints got to the NFC championship game in 2006 that I would come down and watch the Super Bowl with him if they made it. Obviously, it didn't happen, and then he died in June of 2008. He was the first person I thought of when Hartley's field goal went through the uprights.

It's days like these I remember why I love sports in the first place. Whether they win in two weeks or not, it's all gravy from here (though I probably won't be thinking that when and if they get behind against the Colts).

Poignant moment over. Resume Favre hate-fest.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Everyone is really going with the Colts so easily here? I think these two teams are far closer to each other than most people are giving the Saints credit.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't hate Brett Favre. I just want him back home at his plow and off my TV for two weeks, if it isn't asking too much.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . or humping the John Deere.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Early bettors are all on Indy's side; they've pushed the line up to -4.5 in some offshore books.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

So what will be the biggest story of the next two weeks...Peyton playing his dad's team or interviews with former Saints third-stringer Guido Merkins, who was the only player in NFL history named Guido?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oops ...

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Peyton Manning bugs me way more than Brett Favre ever could. Always has.

That said, I am going with the Colts in the SB. He is playing as well as any QB in my lifetime and the Colts defense hasn't been getting enough credit. It's a major reason the Colts are where they are. They are fast and play with some edge, like they feel disrespected all the time. Both Saints and Colts can move the ball on offense. The Colts don't have a great running game. Edge Saints. But the Colts have a better defense and that is the bigger edge. I'll take that. Colts 28 Saints 17

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Biggest Story will be Tony Dungy. Tim Tebow is the son of Tony Dungy.

When Gruden won at Tampa we all heard that he won with Dungy's team and TD got lots of love. Will TD get some glory if Caldwell wins? Twice, the year after TD left a head coaching job the team went to the Super Bowl.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The game's in Miami? Someone of note is gettin' arrested.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Usually, the guy's Mr. MOTO.

When he tries to get cute, he gets bit.

Some are better seers than others.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Thanks. This is why sports are awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted