1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No NFL team to cheer for

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Would the "best" team in the NFL play a lousy Super Bowl?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I missed all that conspiracy talk here, then. Too bad.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand where the questions came from. But this is also a team that played great for three weeks to get there. But no doubt, both quarterbacks were pretty bad in that game. Makes for ugly football.

The conspiracy theory stuff was just silly.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ever since birth I've been surrounded by adoration for the Blueberry Starfish.

I never had a chance.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

part of the joy in being a sports fan, imo, is having a team to root for. no rooting interest, nothing to lose, you are at risk for being labeled strictly a naysayer who lives just to torment others.

that, for example, is why a radio-idiot talking head like chris russo on wfan has zero cred -- other than the fact that he's a moron. what's the use of arguing with a guy -- which is what sports-talk ob the radiom at bars or with friends is all about -- if he has no horse in the race?

at least during baseball season, when he's ragging on the yanks or mets, he has to take crap about his san fran giants.

that's the way i see it. talking sports with someone without a rooting interest takes all the fun out of it.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was the opposite with the Mets. My family has always been a Yankees family. So I took a liking to the Mets to spite my dad. Maybe that's why we didn't get along for all those years. ...

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The '06 Series was poorly played, too. Tigers pitchers' fielding errors are the lasting memory, which is pretty sad.

That said, Steelers fans are still hyper-defensive about not being called a "great" team. The fact is, they weren't. Yet they still won a championship, because in a playoff format, you don't have to be "great" to win it all. Why the need for so much extra validation? "Who gives it a shit? It's gone. You won."

8. outofplace

I see your point. I don't need it. It still stands as the sports highlight of my lifetime, simply because I was too young to really appreciate the titles in the '70s.

I'm just pointing out where so many of the arguments came from. I think there were more questions about that Pittsburgh team than there was about the Cardinals.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fair enough. I think it was more equal, because everyone just accepted that the Cardinals weren't a very good team but got hot at the right time and lucked out to face a flawed AL team in the Series ... but to each his own.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Plus the National League, with the exception of the Mets, was weak all season. Then the Mets folded like a fucking ... folding chair. They make me so mad sometimes, I can't even be witty.

11. outofplace

ha...true...maybe that's why I see it as different. The Cardinals came form the weaker league, but the '05 Steelers made their way through the stronger conference in their run.

I also think football and baseball fans can be a bit different. Something about the more aggressive nature of the game in the NFL. Some of the stuff I've seen amongst tailgaters in Pittsburgh....

Draft saved Draft deleted