1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No NFL team to cheer for

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I am a pro football fan who has no NFL team I'm passionite about.
    Some of my co-workers tell me my opinions on their team doesn't matter because I don't have a team of my own.
    I grew up a fan of a team that moved out of town and unlike many, didn't want to just pick a new team. I think jumping on a bandwagon would have been worse that not having a team.
    Does my opinion count? If so, how do I prove it does?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Your opinion is far more valid than those whose eyes are clouded by fanboi glasses.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Tell your co-workers to go fly a kite. I'd rather listen to an objective, intelligent point of view than someone who might as well be on the team's payroll.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I haven't had an NFL team I cheered for since elementary school, and I love the NFL. It's great not being a fanboi. I just like watching good games and competition. The NFL playoffs usually come through.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. Nothing wrong with being an NFL fan, as opposed to having to follow on specific team.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

MTM, take a look through some of the threads here. If anything, posters on here are attacked for showing too much allegiance to a particular team.

Your co-workers are full of crap.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's not to say that anyone with an emotional tie to the team is a hole. You've just got to be balanced. But anyone who won't take you seriously because you don't have allegiance to a helmet really isn't arguing with a whole deck.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

why spend any time here then?

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

For the life of me, I don't understand what's so inherently wrong about being, as people around here say, a "fanboi."

(And why is it spelled with an I at the end, anyways? We're not Avril Lavigne.)

You can have a valid opinion about a team while having a strong rooting interest in said team.
    I honestly wonder whether a lot of people here actually enjoy sports.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Touche.

Because I don't have a life?

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

That's a solid avatar, Mike.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Exactly. I've had good conversations about football and the team I root for with people whose favorite team is that team's arch rival. If I encounter someone who can speak objectively about the team I have emotional ties with, I'll gladly talk objectively about his or her team. Even if it's a team I otherwise despise.

Draft saved Draft deleted