1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No NFL team to cheer for

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I am a pro football fan who has no NFL team I'm passionite about.
    Some of my co-workers tell me my opinions on their team doesn't matter because I don't have a team of my own.
    I grew up a fan of a team that moved out of town and unlike many, didn't want to just pick a new team. I think jumping on a bandwagon would have been worse that not having a team.
    Does my opinion count? If so, how do I prove it does?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Your opinion is far more valid than those whose eyes are clouded by fanboi glasses.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Tell your co-workers to go fly a kite. I'd rather listen to an objective, intelligent point of view than someone who might as well be on the team's payroll.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I haven't had an NFL team I cheered for since elementary school, and I love the NFL. It's great not being a fanboi. I just like watching good games and competition. The NFL playoffs usually come through.

5. Oz

Oz Active Member

Second that. Nothing wrong with being an NFL fan, as opposed to having to follow on specific team.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

MTM, take a look through some of the threads here. If anything, posters on here are attacked for showing too much allegiance to a particular team.

Your co-workers are full of crap.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's not to say that anyone with an emotional tie to the team is a hole. You've just got to be balanced. But anyone who won't take you seriously because you don't have allegiance to a helmet really isn't arguing with a whole deck.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

why spend any time here then?

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

For the life of me, I don't understand what's so inherently wrong about being, as people around here say, a "fanboi."

(And why is it spelled with an I at the end, anyways? We're not Avril Lavigne.)

You can have a valid opinion about a team while having a strong rooting interest in said team.
    I honestly wonder whether a lot of people here actually enjoy sports.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Touche.

Because I don't have a life?

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

That's a solid avatar, Mike.

12. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Exactly. I've had good conversations about football and the team I root for with people whose favorite team is that team's arch rival. If I encounter someone who can speak objectively about the team I have emotional ties with, I'll gladly talk objectively about his or her team. Even if it's a team I otherwise despise.

Draft saved Draft deleted