1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No newspapers means no worries for coaches and teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Aurelio, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

So, we're all ready to leap off a bridge because the business is burning down around us.

But if I'm Joe Money coaching at State U., I love it. It means very soon I don't have to worry about an experienced beat writer uncovering any of my misdeeds. If I'm the owner of the pro franchise with a lousy record and crummy attendance and a bonehead for an alleged star player, I love it. Again, no savvy vet to uncover the dirt or bring to light how I'm ripping off the public.

The worse things get, the better it is for the people we cover. Because they can just pay next to nothing for "kids" to write for their sites or for cheaply produced programs/rags sold at the arena.

I'm telling you, coaches will love this and certain owners will, too. Discuss ...

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I'd say that's about right for college and NFL teams.

But the leagues for whom the walk-up gate is a necessity -- MLB, NBA, NHL -- realize that it isn't a good thing to have fewer newspapers covering you.

At least the team I cover seems to realize that.

3. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

Ten, or maybe fifteen, years ago, I'd agree with you on walk-up gate. But now, it's all about what you see on SportsCenter. At least for MLB and NBA, I don't think the newspaper is nearly as important as it once was. That's changed a lot in just the last three years.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If this was 1987, I'd agree with you.

But the real fan dialog has already shuffled over to talk radio and the interwebs.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree. Look at attendance figures in the other three majors, particularly MLB and NBA. Only in the NFL are near-capacity crowds a birthright. Most teams realize that continuous coverage can only help drive ticket sales. Coaches and players obviously don't think that far into it. But from an organizational standpoint I think most of the walk-up driven sports realize they need as much play in as many papers as possible. Not as many people listen to sports radio as you might think. And ESPN doesn't give you the day-to-day coverage of specific teams. Our industry might be dying, but beat writers give readers stuff they don't get anywhere else, like an update on the strained hamstring of the back-up catcher.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, all those baseball players were really worried about the media exposing their steroid use.

7. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

Tell me Nick Saban wouldn't rejoice over the death of ANY MEDIA OUTLET.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're assuming he has time for media outlets.

9. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

I agree with what the original poster stated, but it's also because the coaches and players have never seen the media as anything but a pesky rodent. They don't fully understand how it also can benefit them. I imagine it's one of those things that they'll never realize what they had until it's too late.

10. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

I agree with most of this, except for the part about packed crowds being an NFL birthright. They might sell out, but look at most any game in Arizona (except when Dallas comes to town) or even Dolphins games when the team is stinking and you'll see a LOT of empty seats. That's happening in a lot of sports: Tickets might be sold, but many of those are going to businesses, not real fans.
    Those fans, without the big bucks, still make up a big chunk of the people that might say they don't care about newspapers or their web sites, but they'll be the first ones reading any time there's news about their teams.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You're assuming Nick Saban can rejoice.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

So, the bridge is on fire?

Draft saved Draft deleted